We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mauritius
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

Hi all,

I will be visiting Scotland, accommodation at Edinburgh from the 12th of June to the 21st of june 2013.

I have made a sketch of my itinerary, wanting to see the maximum during my stay, (would be a once in a lifetime visit I guess!). I'm hesitating between an explorer pass from citylink (much cheaper option) or the freedom of scotland pass??? I'm definitely buying an explorer pass from historic scotland and would love to be able to optimize this purchase. Your input would be much appreciated.

Day 1 Wednesday the 12th of June 2013,

Region: Edinburgh and the Lothians

Day 2 Thursday the 13th of June 2013

Region: Glasglow, Stirling, Perth

Day 3 Friday the 14th of June 2013

Region: Inverness and Aberdeen

Day 4: Saturday, the 15th of June 2013

Region: Edinburgh – Glasglow – Fort William – Mallaig – Edinburgh

Day 5: Sunday, the 16th of June 2013

Region: Edinburgh to Oban

Day 6: Monday, the 17th of June 2013

Region:Edinburgh to Ayr to Stranraer

Day 6: Tuesday, the 18th of June 2013

Region:E Edinburgh and the Lothians

Day 7: Wednesday, the 19th of June 2013

Region: Edinburgh – Dumfries – Galloway - Carlisle

Day 8 : Thursday, the 20th of June 2013

Region: Dundee - Kingdom of FifeSt Andrews, Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem

Day 9 : Friday, the 21st of June 2013

Region: Edinburgh and the Lothians

Thank you.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

Does not make much sense to me - it's just a list of areas rather than an itinerary?

<--

Day 4: Saturday, the 15th of June 2013

Region: Edinburgh – Glasgow – Fort William – Mallaig – Edinburgh

Day 5: Sunday, the 16th of June 2013

Region: Edinburgh to Oban

Day 6: Monday, the 17th of June 2013

Region:Edinburgh to Ayr to Stranraer --->>

Why would you go all the way from Edinburgh to Mallaig and back in one day (10 hours or more on the train) only to go all the way back north to Oban the next day then come all the way back to Edinburgh (again?) to go to erm Stranraer the next day etc??!!

In any case with things like the Citylink explorer (and the rail equivalent) it's X days out of Y - so you cannot use it every day - it's a case of travel to place A spend a couple of days, travel to place B spend a couple of days etc . ie: 3 days out of 5, 5 out of 10 or 8 out of 16, so basically travelling every second day (at most) and working your way around the country and eventually back to your start point. http://www.citylink.co.uk/explorerpass.php

Edited: 15 April 2013, 20:49
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

You need to completely replan your trip, unless you love spending all day on buses or trains. Quite simply, you'll end up spending a great deal of time travelling and will actually experience very little of Scotland. I suggest that you base yourself in Edinburgh, spend at least two days exploring the city and then take some trips out. A good start is using the sightseeing tour buses which start at Waverley Bridge. A day trip to Glasgow is a must, but do plan it well - the bus tour of the city is also good. There are lots of bus tours to the Highlands from Edinburgh. If you still want to explore Scotland by train, a four day rover ticket after a three day stay in Edinburgh could work well.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

Also see if a few (advance) single tickets works out cheaper - you can get all the way from Edinburgh to Mallaig for £20 single for example and Inverness or Aviemore to Edinburgh (or vice-versa) for around £11 single, whereas a rail pass at £134 for 4 days (out fo 8) or £180 for 8 days (out of 15) is expensive unless you are doing a big round trip and seeing quite a few different places on different lines and want the flexibility of not having to stick to prebooked ticket times. scotrail.co.uk/content/freedom-scotland-trav…

Less is more - pick a few good places and take the time to see and enjoy them rather than trying to see every corner of the country - your holiday will seem like one endless rail/bus journey if you do that.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 21:06
scotland
Level Contributor
172 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

i agree with others you are trying to do too much and travel too far on a day trip. I would spend at least three days sightseeing in Edinburgh.It is a beautiful city with lots to see. St Andrews and Fife also worthwhile and nice day trip. Glasgow for the day would be good only an hour away but lots to see. I would miss out Ayr to Stranraar and Dumfries to Carlisle you dont have the time. You might also consider Stirling for castle and Wallace Monument and Linlithgow has a nice palace. They are both close to Edinburgh. I would then choose one of the highland tours to get a flavour of the countryside. You will then have time to take evrything in and enjoy yourself rather than taking part in a marathon.

Mauritius
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

Hi all

Thank you for your most useful input and great advices!!!

I will rework my travel plan around your comments and come up with something more realistic. One additional question though, which highland tour would you recommend for a female travelling solo?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

I would not bother with a tour - but then regimented timetables and spending lots of time on a bus don't appeal to me. The whole "we have a 10 minutes stop here for photos then everybody back on the bus" thing would drive me nuts. Would much rather explore on my own and take the time to appreciate things without being herded about like a sheep, you meet plenty of people in youth hostels, pubs, campsites etc anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

seescotlanddifferently.co.uk/touring-scotlan…

I wonder if this might interest you or some of this company's routes you might want to copy on your own. Look at their Round Scotland Itinerary

I think you need to stay in 3 or 4 different places and not be in Edinburgh all the time. Edinburgh for 2 nights , Oban for 2 nights, Skye for 2 nights , Inverness for 2 nights and back to Edinburgh or something like this.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 15:53
Mauritius
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

I tend to agree with you Mark M, I prefer hop on and hop off tours where I can go explore at my own pace ;) I have done that in some cities ex. Lisbonne (Portugal) it was a great experience, though in remote places I think to be on the safe side I should stick to an organised tour

9. Re: International Student visiting Scotland for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 06:18