We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stirling castle

new jersey
Level Contributor
260 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
stirling castle

We were thinking of a day trip to Stirling Castle but both have arthritis and while a few steps are ok,many are not, and also we need to sit down at times during a tour-for very small amount of time-is stirling a castle that would meet our needs?

Thank you

Palace of Holyroodhouse
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Castles
Craigmillar Castle
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Castles
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stirling castle

By their nature castles were built on high positions for defensive reasons and Stirling is at the top of a steep hill up from the town- however you could easily get a taxi from the station which would bring you up to the castle gates. There is lots of access information on the Historic Scotland website

**There is a courtesy bus for those with mobility difficulties. Please contact a

staff member on your arrival.

Approach to site

Approach to site from the car park varies from 65m to a maximum of

180m, up a maximum gradient of 1:15. The route is cobbled.

Visitor centre

Visitor centre and shop have step free access through two sets of double

doors.

Monument

The main route through the castle is 160m long from the gate to the Inner Close. It is surfaced with cobbles and has a maximum gradient of 1:9.

The Argyll and Sutherland

Highlanders’ Museum has 26 stone steps up into it.

The Great Kitchens are on the east side of the castle and accessed down a set of 7 even steps with a handrail to the left hand side.

The Tapestry studio is in the Nether Bailey, 200m from the Outer Close along a cobbled track with a maximum downward gradient of 1:7. A courtesy vehicle is available on request.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stirling castle

I would say "maybe" to that. It all depends on quite how severe your arthritis is.

Stirling Castle is not quite as big as Edinburgh's, but covers a fair area. There aren't many steps (most notably, a couple of flights up to the Heads Gallery), but there are plenty of slopes. There are some places where you can stop and sit for a few minutes, but they are not evenly distributed through the locations. I see they have a courtesy vehicle available to assist those with mobility issues - stirlingcastle.gov.uk/home/visit/access.htm

The standard introductory guided tour is mostly through a few courtyard locations where the guides speak about the castle history. The parties don't move particularly rapidly, and the guides are sympathetic, so that should not be a problem. However, there is one interior section with several flights of steps involved, mostly descending.

You don't have to take a tour, or even follow it right through if you find it is going too fast - you can explore the locations at your leisure, taking in whatever you want at your own pace. On the whole, from what you say, I think you will be fine.

One last point - the castle itself is at the top of a hill some way from the town centre and station. If you make your own travel arrangements by public transport, you will likely need to take a taxi between the castle entrance and the railway or bus station. That should cost only a few pounds each way.

new jersey
Level Contributor
260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stirling castle

that is great information

Thank you

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stirling castle

I brought my elderly parents to Stirling Castle in summer last year. My father is very fit, my mother very fit but extremely unsteady on her legs. She managed perfectly well; as John987654321 mentions, there are indeed many seats dotted around, but not always where you want to sit (and they're mostly outdoors).

The slopes are at times steep, and remember, the footing is cobblestone. If it's a rainy day I'd be somewhat circumspect.

Having said all that, it's a stunning destination so I do hope you manage to make it and have a fabulous time.

5. Re: stirling castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 06:18