We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

I would appreciate suggestions for where to have breakfast near the Balmoral Hotel. Also, where do the locals go for a coffee (please, don't tell me its Starbucks!)?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

There is an Italian cafe on the opposite corner to the Balmoral but I can't remember the name of it....you will get breakfast there. I'll get back to you or perhaps someone with a better memory than me will post!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

i think martones is the little italian place that fofoma is thinking of. took me a while to remember too! we breakfasted there when staying at balmoral a couple of years ago. great italian coffee.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

Not a better memory, but I can use Search :-)

http://www.martone-edinburgh.co.uk/menu.php

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k41…

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

That's the one....in my defense ( other than old age!) it was 5.45am when I was posting!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

I would be tempted to walk over North Bridge to the Old Town. There are lots of coffee/breakfast options over there. Starbucks are a fact of life in Edinburgh (as they are in most other developed countries -- including places with their own coffee culture like Austria or Italy!) but there are also good independent coffee places.

If you don't mind a c. 15 minute walk, the Elephant House has great tea and coffee and also trades on its status as one of the locations where JK Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
103 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

Hi if you go up North Bridge to the High Street ( Royal Mile) , cross the road turn left and go down the street by haggis backpackers/ scandic hotel - the street is Blackfriars street. The cafe is Edinburgh Larder and I highly recommend it. Great coffee and as far from Starbucks as you can go. Also porto and fi at the top of the mound is nice. The cafe at the Gallery of Scotland is good.

There are loads of fantastic cafes in Edinburgh these days - if you are going to be around for a few days get the latest list food guide - its free with this weeks copy of the list ( whats on magazine) cafe section as well as all sorts of bars and resturants ( and maps)

Im sure you wont need a chain cafe at all but costa is much better than starbucks. Enjoy.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
964 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

The small independent cafes are best. I particularly recommend Papii, 101 Hanover Street (about 5-10 minutes walk from the Balmoral Hotel). It's very small, but they do good breakfast and good coffee. Edinburgh Larder in Blackfriars Street is also very good. I find the Elephant House disappointing.

8. Re: Coffee or Breakfast near Balmoral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:18