We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

Am considering a Nov. trip to London (have been before) and adding a trip to Edinburgh at the end.

My thought is to fly into London, stay for a few days and then either train or fly to Edinburgh, stay a few days, then fly home from Edinburgh (even though will probably have to stop in London on way home to US).

The fly vs. train to Edinburgh is my question: is one easier than the other? I understand the train does not require a change anywhere, I just need to get to/from train stations, as I would need to get to/from airports. Have been on the train to Bath, and it was a pleasant ride.

Anyone have thoughts on which is easier/faster/less stress? am traveling solo, if that impacts your feedback.

thanks!

1. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 15:26
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

Train.

Why people still think that being crammed into a metal tube squashed next to a bunch of unpleasant people and having to deal with obnoxious security before leaving, having to pay extra for what few bags you are allowed to take on, then finding the rest are "missing" when you arrive and spend the next 6 hours waiting at the carrousel for your bags never to appear. And having to arrive two hours before your flight which from London to Edinburgh, only takes 80 minutes anyway. Why people still fly such short distances is a mystery to me.

Take the train, just over 4 hours, centre to centre.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

As well as the day trains there is the Caledonian Sleeper service. You save a night's hotel bill.

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

feeling like the train is the way to go. just wanted to be sure that i wasnt missing anything.

as always, thank you!!

5. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 15:26
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

If I had just landed at Heathrow and wanted to go on to Scotland I would fly, if however I was in London I would take the train, it is a very pleasant journey which improves with every mile, the views of the coast past Newcastle are worth going for alone.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

Train from London to Edinburgh. Coming back, fly as long as you buy a ticket from Edinburgh to your final destination so that your connection is protected.

Reason for flying in the reverse direction is that (a) you are not going Edinburgh to London, but Edinburgh to Heathrow, and the plane goes to Heathrow unlike the train, and (b) you can buy a protected connection all the way through, whereas you cannot buy that for train to London, tube to Heathrow, connection.

This means you should buy what is called an open-jaw ticket, using the multi-city option, Home-London & Edinburgh to Home.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 07:54
Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

thanks everyone. the plan: fly from US to Heathrow, stay a while, then train to Edinburgh, stay a while, then book flight back to US, via Heathrow.

sounds great, thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

I always use the train when going back to Edinburgh I find it much more comfortable and less stressful.

You can book tickets up to 3 months in advance, have a look on National Rail's website (closer to the time) because usually you can save a lot of money and you'll get a reserved seat (if you don't mind being tied to a time). You can also get great deals for 1st class booking in advance which means you get a bit more room and some nice food and drinks thrown in.

If you're just planning on just turning up on the day (which is fine) try to avoid commuter times (especially Friday night) because it gets crazy - believe me!

Have fun and enjoy Edinburgh, it's a beautiful city!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost vs. ease/comfort: fly or train from London to Edinburgh

I fly between Edinburgh and London City Airport every week with all the other obnoxious people Henneth describes. I only take the plane because it's more convenient for me as I live nearer Edinburgh Airport and it works out quicker for me at 3.5 hours door to door.

However, if I was going city centre to city centre then the train is the only way to go. 4.5 hours, more relaxing, no security checks and nice scenery once past Newcastle.

Tickets available from www.eastcoast.co.uk

You could also fly back to the US from Edinburgh via Newark on United which is in my experience an easier change than Heathrow.