We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

architecture

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Topic
architecture

Any suggestions for strolling in Edinburgh for people who love excellent architecture both old & new?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: architecture

The Royal Mile should satisfy the old bit from the castle at the top to Holyrood House at the bottom where you will also find the new in the Scottish Government building which inspires debate as to whether it is striking or a monstrosity! You would then need to cross to the New Town where Georgian Edinburgh can be found. There are some interesting buildings on Princes Street still despite the city Fathers messing it up in the 70's.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: architecture

You need to visit some of the pubs & bars - in the interests of architecture of course - as many of the buildings have very interesting interiors.

Don't miss out on the streets with "Bridge" in their name as they are, despite appearances, are in fact bridges

BTW "New Town" means that it's newer than the "Old Town" not that it's new.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: architecture

New architecture: you will either love or hate the Scottish Parliament buildingsat the foot of the Royal Mile. Enric Miralles, the Catalan architect.

scotland
Level Contributor
172 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: architecture

The museum in Chambers St has bait of old and new. Portrait gallery at end of Queen St beautifully refurbished building. These are both nice places to wander if it is raining! Hopefully though the sun will shine and almost anywhere in Edinburgh has interesting architecture at eve,ry turn. The New Town is of course the master piece

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: architecture

For Old Town Architectural Gems visit Whitehorse Close which is pretty much opposite the Parliament, at the foot of the Royal Mile. Well disguised behind some shops covered in scaffolding right now, but a good example of vernacular architecture. Visit the Scottish Poetry Library at Chrighton's Close. Half way up you have John Knox' House cheek by jowl with the Scottish Story Telling Centre - 1600 and 21 century with not a postage stamp betweeen. Much further up the mile you have Gladstone's Land, a well preserved cloth merchants building of about 1600, with painted wooden ceilings. The National Trust for Scotland have put a lot of effort into displaying the achitecture and crafts of the period. You also have a number of old closes you can wander through. Have a pint in 'the Jolly Judge'

Much of the Royal Mile is 19th C. A lot of flatted accommodation. But it fits together with old and new not too badly. Tell us what you think.

IMO the best part of the New Town is Charlotte Square and the streets to its north e.g. Ainslie Place, Moray Place. What makes the best of the New town good is the cohesive architectural style and honey coloured sandstone used almost everywhere for a hundred years or so.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 16:57
Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: architecture

Aren't you a gem ! A real maven of architecture. I appreciated the suggestions so much and will follow your trail. Are you a native of Edinburgh? Any time you want a Frank Lloyd Wright or Gaudi tour, I would be happy to reciprocate.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: architecture

Contact the Cockburn Association who might be helpful - see if they still have a copy of the Doors Open day brochure from last year - a lot of the buildings are only open to the public on Doors Open Day but quite a few are open all year round (though times vary, some only once a week or once a month like the Mansfield Traquair Centre which has monthly open days [weekly in August].

www.cockburnassociation.org.uk/default.asp…

http://www.mansfieldtraquair.co.uk/history/

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: architecture

Gaudi and Barcelona, Park Guell and Sagrada Famila: Been there, done that :-) Even found a Miralles exhibition on in Barcelona while I was there.

Yes I'm Edinburgh-based, and once upon a time was going to be an architect, before discovering some Mathematical skills which took me off at 90 degrees. But I've retained an interest.

My knowledge of Frank Lloyd Wright doesn't get much past Simon & Garfunkel ...

---

Further thoughts:

No-one mentioned Charles Rennie Mackintosh. You need to take a day trip to Glasgow to see the Glasgow School of Art etc, and also the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum - or the recent builds along the banks of the Clyde. Glasgow's not renown for its architecture, but there are exceptions.

If you're up for trips elsewhere - along with Traquair in the Tweed valley, you have the four borders abbeys, Dryburgh and Melrose being the ones most worth visiting;

and also Rosslyn Chapel on the outskirts of Edinburgh, a chapel built in the style of Glasgow cathedral;

and you can visit New Lanark, an architectural gem of Industrial Enlightenment;

Or Inchcolm Abbey, on its island in the Forth Estuary.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: architecture

Mansfield traquair. Must wear glasses. Phoebe Traquair was an Arts and Crafts artist responsible for the decor of a few eccleciastical establishments, such as the church Mansfield Traquair was, and also the choir school at St Mary's episcopal cathedral at the West End, near Haymarket.

http://www.traquair.co.uk/ for Traquiar House in the borders. Also worth visiting :-)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: architecture

I suggest finding a copy of "Inside Edinburgh" by David Torrance & Steven Richmond

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Edinburgh-David-Torrance/dp/1841587877/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1367185340&sr=8-6&keywords=inside+edinburgh