We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
One Day Itinerary

My wife and I only have one day to go from London to Edinburgh on the train. We need to be back in London the same night. We have no idea what to see in the five or six hours we will have. Can the Edinburgh regulars suggest an itinerary that will give us a good but very quick look at this city.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Itinerary

I would recommend the Hop on Hop off bus to let you see the majority of the tourist attractions in passing. Perhaps have a look at an itinerary (presume they have a route on line) then choose your most wanted from that list. This will save your precious time and your legs and is probably the cheapest way to see the most in a short time. I presume you have checked just how much time you will have for sight seeing? The buses leave right outside Waverley Station - don't go up the escalator - just walk up the hill/road/pavement from the centre of the station and you will see buses at the top of that hill.

discount-edinburgh.com/city-sightseeing-tour… OR

The above are just one or two of many and further down the page you can click on the route shown and find out what you will see and choose according to your interests where to get off and explore. Depending on the weather you may want to choose indoor or outdoor activities but I would suggest Holyrood Palace and walking up (or down) The Royal Mile as well as the tour. I'm not sure if this is the most extensive route on offer but I am sure others will chip in who have more knowledge. We visit Edinburgh regularly but tend to get local buses to visit anything we want to visit because we have someone with us who is local!

Good luck for your whistle stop tour - at least you can fall asleep all the way back to London!! I am presuming your visit will be soon in which case you'll have a lot of daylight hours and if you CAN stay awake you will see some lovely scenery from the train. Once over the border coming north try to sit on the right hand side of the train for the best views (or on the left going south!)

Woody x

Edited: 25 April 2013, 09:21
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Itinerary

Wow - whistlestop indeed! Hop-on-hop-off definitely a good idea. Get off on the Royal Mile and wander down our iconic high street. Walk down to Holyrood Palace and gaze up at Arthurs Seat.

Have a traditional scottish bite to eat at Oink on Victoria St - a pork roll with haggis. Perhaps you could even sneak in an amazing pre-theatre dinner at The Witchery by the castle, before resting on the trip back to London!

3. Re: One Day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 06:16