We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
"Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

One of the trips we are considering for this summer is a visit to Scotland in August (if FF miles work). We are looking at accommodations through the Visit Scotland National Tourism Organization. Is this a recommended organization to use? Do they vet their listings? What does the star system mean? I guess I generally a little nervous about getting an accommodation this way as opposed to a well established B & B or a hotel. Specifically, we are looking at Princes Street Suites or a group called VIP Apartments. Any comments or information or any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

I may not be clear in my question above insofar as I mean we are looking at booking an apartment as opposed to a B & B or Hotel. Thanks!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

Do it as soon as possible. Edinburgh sell s out early for August because of the Festivals.. I have no experience of the organisation you mention

Edited: 26 April 2013, 05:33
alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

Visit Scotland is a well recognized tourism organization - which in fact hands out the 'stars' after their inspectors have visited the premises, often stayed the night & return once a year to see if standards are kept,

they star grade B&B's as well as hotelas and self catering accommodation. If the owners of an apartment have gone through the trouble and expense of a VS grading, you can expect at least the standard per star being available.

The other organization handing out graded stars is TheAA (AAA in the US), they follow the same guidelines as the VisitScotland system.

But as thegoodwitch says - act fast, good places at a reasonable price go fast for the Edinburgh Festival/Tattoo season.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

Thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

ALthough VS or the AA have inspectors, at least part of their grading is based on facilities and ticklists. I read what you said about an apartment, but I'd like to add [for others] that one of the joys of the Scottish B&B system is its variety. It's serendipity: the experience depends on the other people visiting, and your relationship with the B&B owner. When that falls into place, B&Bs can be a fantastic experience. If you pull out a soor plum, well it's one night and you'll be somethere else tomorrow.

The B&B I most enjoyed ever was in Torridon, and no longer exists. Basic facilities. No electricity, and lighting was paraffin lamps and cooking was on bottled gas. But the lady was delightful and I learned a shedload about life around the Torridon area, because she'd been midwife until her retirement, and her husband and sons were fishermen. You miss gems like that if you simply look for maximum star ratings.

However, I'm wittering on. You're interested in an Edinburgh apartment right now, not a B&B But and Ben.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 02:05
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

TA reviews for Princes Street apartments are good: tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186525-d1233…

I can't find a review for VIP Apartments.

As others have said, you must book soon for accommodation in August. It is the busiest month and the rooms will be fully booked very soon

7. Re: "Visit Scotland" Nat'l Tourism Org Accommodations;

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:17