We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

First, thanks to everyone who posts on the Scotland fora - everyone is so helpful! I have been reading and reading but still don't have an answer to this questions. We will be in Edinburgh for several days on the front end of our Scotland trip, and will be returning to the Edinburgh area the night before a noon flight to the US, on July 19. We will be driving from Kyle of Lochalsch on the 18th, but plan to make a day out of the drive.

I've read various suggestions of staying in Edinburgh itself, South Queensferry and near the airport. I understand that "airport" hotels don't have shuttles. We will have a rental car, so could potentially stay anywhere within easy driving distance (keeping in mind returning the car, international check in and a noon flight). Or we could return the car early and stay in Edinburgh, taking the bus or taxi the next morning. There will be 3 of us (me, hubby and 15 year old son).

So what would be the suggestions for where to stay and what to do on our last night, after arriving from Kyle?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Since you have a noon flight, and car access and drop-off is quite simple, just about anywhere within an hour's drive of the airport will do. It's a matter of choosing a hotel that suits your need and budget and will depend on your route towards Edinburgh from Kyle. The airport is on the west side, so whichever route you choose will bring you to the airport before the city. I wouldn't stay overly far to the north (not as far out as Perth, say) but there are motels in the Dunfermline area, or the Travelodge in Ratho near Edinburgh airport. But these are pretty dull.

On the route from Stirling, Linlithgow is an attractive town at about the right distance. Stirling itself is about an hour's drive, so also feasible as long as you make a prompt start. Those would be my picks.

I see no point in coming all the way into Edinburgh and paying the city's premium prices, given that you have already seen something of it.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Which route do you intend to take back from Kyle? Via Stirling? Linlithgow's good, as is South Queensferry. I'm sure there are others with good hotels but nothing with the visual impact of these two.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Thank you - that's exactly what I needed to hear! Yes, we'd probably be coming back through Stirling.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

I don't know what made you think the airport hotels don't have shuttles.

The Hilton right at the airport has a courtesy bus running 24 hours so if you want no hassle in the morning you could drop the car off at night and have a leisurely breakfast and a swim in the pool.

If thats too pricey and you want to be handy for the airport, try the Travelodge. It's about 5 minutes in a taxi from the terminal.

If you fancy more of a 'country house' atmosphere, the Norton House is a few minutes from the airport but in beautiful grounds. They also run a courtesy bus to the terminal.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,338 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Stirling is only about 40 minutes drive so you can easily stay there. There is a new hotel opening this year, the Collosio. Not sure what the opening date is yet but the Highland Hotel is also nice. Plenty of B&B accommodation in the town too.

If you leave just after 0900 you should easily make it to the car drop off and still be at check in by 1000. I am from Stirling and do this run all the time.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Thank you thegoodwitch! I didn't see the Norton House, and yes the Hilton is a bit above my budget. Most of the hotels I've seen near the airport do not list a courtesy shuttle, and tell me how far the drive is in miles or that it's a short taxi ride. In the US, pretty much every hotel listed as an "airport" location has a courtesy shuttle. We will have a car, so that's not so much an issue - but generally airport hotels aren't in particularly interesting areas (again, at least in the US).

I was actually considering Stirling prior to posting, but was concerned that it was too far away. So thanks for the drive time information, RonaldoC!

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

A few years ago we stayed at the Aberdour Hotel for a night prior to heading back to the US. Aberdour is a small town just across the Firth from Edinburgh. Parking was no issue, either in the small carpark for the hotel or on the street, and the restaurant was nice. The website claims its about 25 minutes driving to the airport, and that sounds about right to me. The hotel is close to a train station, in case you want one last visit to Edinburgh yourself, and there are a few historic sites in Aberdour itself. We found it to be an excellent choice for our last night in Scotland.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Thanks again. Unfortunately the Aberdour is not available for our night. So I'll focus between the airport and Stirling, especially Linlithgow and S. Queensferry.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Hi again

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Is it somewhere scenic or interesting where you can spend a few hours in the evening or somewhere comfy and functional just to go to sleep?

There's not a lot of hotel choice in Linlithgow and area. There's the Bonsyde House which is on the hill over Linlithgow. You could be at the airport in 20 minutes and spend the evening walking round Linlithgow Loch and looking at the Palace.

There's the Dakota at South Queensferry. It's big, modern and comfortable but in a busy area. You could have a lovely walk over the Forth Road Bridge if it was a nice evening though. It's a good walk with amazing views.

If you just plan on going to bed you might as well push on for 15minutes and stay at the airport

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay prior to flight out of EDI

Thanks, thegoodwitch. Unfortunately we haven't decided on that either. If we're going to get to the hotel fairly late, then just functional will do. But if we're going to be spending the whole afternoon/evening, then I'd rather be somewhere more interesting. So I'll have to confer with my husband and son to see what we want to do/see as we're driving back toward Edinburgh to get a rough idea of our timing.

But I really appreciate the comments as to how far away we could realistically stay (Stirling at the most distant, apparently), and possible areas between there and the airport that might be interesting and/or easy to get from there to the airport.