We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finnegans Wake Pub

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool
Level Contributor
104 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Finnegans Wake Pub

Hi,

4 of us chaps are staying in Edinburgh next weekend for our annual trip away. I can't wait as been a few times but never had a weekend on the ale :)

Anyway been checking out several pubs and sorted a pub crawl but looking at ending up in Finnegans Wake on the saturday as they have Wildcard on who seem a great tribute band. What do you locals think of 1. the pub and 2. the band?

As staying in the Travelodge Central I've also been looking at the Holyrood 9a bar for breakie and beer,, again what do people think? Apparently their burgers are great.

We also go away for the last prem games of the season so on the sunday was thinking of heading down to Grassmarket.

TIA, cant wait just hope the weather is good

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

I think Finnegans Wake is awful and Holyrood 9a is excellent. But that's because one is my kind of pub and one isn't. :) Everybody being different though you may love Finnegans Wake and hate Holyrood 9a, who knows. :)

If you are after good real ale check http://thebeercast.com/ for events and for good pubs (as well as 9a) try Guildford Arms and the Bow Bar. perfectpint.co.uk/best-real-ale-pubs-UK/3783…

Blackpool
Level Contributor
104 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

cheers

mark.

only fancied Finnegans as open till 3 and band look good.

yeah got them others pubs penned in as well as malones, frankensteins, 3

sisters, abbotsford, whistlebinkies and others inc wethers and lloyds

bar.

and doing the whisky tour hic, can't wait

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

Hi. The pubs you mention are fine, but most are part of a chain or on the definitely cheaper end of the spectrum. Is that what you are aiming for?

Holyrood 9a is tasty. Good for a carb load after a night oot. If you are looking to sup on some fine ales I would suggest some different spots.

Abs :)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

Three Sisters and Abbotsford - talk about chalk and cheese! :)

Actually I was perhaps a wee bit harsh on Finnegans - if you want somewhere to drink until the early hours and you like loud and raucous then it's fine. Certainly not on the same level of awful as Three Sisters anyway. :) I am just not a fan of Irish theme pubs (or any theme pubs!) or tribute/cover bands and I like to go to gigs to listen to music and (quiet) pubs to drink and chat - and hate shouting over loud music or conversation all night.

But if you are under 25 and like loud, crowded places then you may like Malones, Frankensteins etc - just don't expect any real ale! :)

Blackpool
Level Contributor
104 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

Cheers chaps

We do like cheapest but will go anywhere,

We are all in our 40's and like pubs to talk early doors but noisy ones later on (when we can not talk lol). My mate and I drink real ale whilst the other two drink lager.... lager and lager. So as you can see I've picked a variety of pubs to please all.

For real ale I was thinking of Bowbar, Holyrood, Brass monkey, Guildford and Abbotford, have I missed any other good ones? I've not looked at Grassmarket as we will go there next sunday for the football.

TIA for all the input.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

"For real ale I was thinking of Bow bar, Holyrood 9A, Brass monkey, Guildford and Abbotford, have I missed any other good ones? I've not looked at Grassmarket as we will go there next sunday for the football."

Those are all good choices although I would skip Brass Monkey and I prefer Cafe Royal (next door to Guildford Arms) to Abbotsford but both are good. Blue Blazer, Cloisters and Hanging Bat (all near each other) are other good options, also Jake's Place in town (more modern interior with craft beers) and maybe Halfway House nearby. thebeercast.com/2013/04/new-edinburgh-bar-ja…

In Grassmarket - Last Drop and Bee Hive do real ale, the latter has a nice beer garden out back.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
104 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

cheers mark,

never been past the grassmarket but looked at your recommendations and

will be going to blue blazier and hanging bat as look great. oh and

penned in cafe royal.

its gonna be some pub crawl

Blackpool
Level Contributor
104 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

Well survived the weekend. And oh boy it was good (bar the weather)

All the pubs mentioned were good especially Hanging Bat (looks nothing from outside) and Holyrood for real ale.

On the saturday we did a good pub crawl, Whisky tour and ended up in Finnegans, not great beer selection but we went for the Band who were fantastic. The finale of '500 miles' was epic, the place was rocking.

On the Sunday we went to Frankensteins and Three sisters which again were good but weren't mega busy which might have helped. But we also went in Bannermans which was a top pub with a band on.

The worst pub we went to by far was The Bansheelabyrinth, that was grim. But it was busy and no sign of any trouble which was like the whole weekend. One thing which is good but got us paranoid, is the bouncers kept asking us, how we were, where had we been etc.

We did approx 20+ pubs and never ventured on Rose Street, so I think a return is in order.

Food was great (not one bad meal), Holyrood burgers were cracking, Haggis superb and the Fish and chips from the No1 High St pub was brilliant.

Oh and although I've stayed several times I must say the Travel Lodge central just off high street is ideally located and best value for money ever (cost us £30 each for sat and sun). The only downer was the weather although it was sunny when we left

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

Nice one. Glad you enjoyed it. Plenty more to try for next time :)

10. Re: Finnegans Wake Pub

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 05:15