We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
245 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

Hi Friends,

I am planning to visit Edinburgh for a 2 days trip. Then I will proceed for 3 days Highland trip.

My query is : is there any day pass kind of concept for public transport ? What will be the easiest and most convenient mode of transport for the city trip ?

I have decided to visit the follow places in my 2 days trip :

Day 1 : City Walking Trip (starting from High Street), and followed by Aurther's seat & Holyrood Park.

Day 2 : Craigmillar Castle , The Scotch Whisky Experience & St. Giles Cathedral.

I will avail bus mostly for both the days. Any suggestion from your side will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Kumardip

Edited: 14 May 2013, 13:23
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

Hi Kumardip

Log on to www.Lothianbuses.com The website will provide you with all the information you need about Day Saver bus passes etc.

You have made good choices for your itinerary.

Have a lovely time. bring an umbrella though!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

£3.50 for a lothian bus day ticket. It will last you all day and you can hop on and off all day

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
245 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

thanks a lot for the info, those were helpful, my planned date is from may 31st till June 5th. If I need to carry umbrella ? Though I have seen it is still raining at times in Edinburgh.

One more Info I would like to know : My hotel is near the Edinburgh railway station, what will be the best mode of transfer from the airport ?

With Regards,

Kumardip

Edited: 14 May 2013, 14:57
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

It rains in Edinburgh every month of the year (and sometimes every day of the month). It rarely rains for a whole day, so you are best to have a small umbrella that can pack up and be carried when not in use.

The best mode of transport from the airport to the centre of town (balancing cost and convenience) is probably the Airlink bus service. It goes to Waverley Bridge, which is above the main railway station.

Edinburgh is a compact city and you should be able to accomplish pretty much all of your itinerary except Craigmillar Castle on foot. If you only need to go to Craigmillar and back by bus, you may be better off buying two single bus tickets rather than a day pass. Note that Edinburgh buses (except the Airlink) do not give change, so you will need the exact change for your fare.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
245 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

hello friends,

My hotel is at Mayfield Gardens, what will be the best way to travel from Airport ? Is there any direct Airport shuttle service ? And what will be the nearest stop from Mayfield Gardens ?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Kumardip

Edited: 22 May 2013, 23:47
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

You will need to take the Airport bus as stated above and then change to another bus to finish your journey.

From Waverley station (where the Airport bus will drop you) walk back to Princes St (2 mins walk) and take the bus from opposite the Scott Monument (the shops side of the street) 29 and 31 at least will take you to Mayfield gardens. Sit close to the driver and ask them to let you know when you are approaching your requested bus stop.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

KR and others are absolutely right, but here's a tip that might be useful. (I do this trip several times each month).

The Princes Street stop for the 31 is some way from terminus of the 100 Airlink, which is a pain if you are schlepping bags, and as there are quite a few bus stops on Princes Street, even finding the right one can only make it worse.

However, the Airlink and number 31 buses travel the same route into Edinburgh, and stop at some (but not all) of the same bus stops. I get off the 100 before the city centre, and wait for the 31 to come past. For someone who is not familiar with Edinburgh, the easiest place to do this is the stop for the Edinburgh Zoo.

A couple more points - Mayfield Gardens (post 5) is several miles from the railway station (post 3). The 31 bus (and about 6 other routes) stops ON Mayfield Gardens. The frequency on the 31 is 10 minutes during the day, 15 minutes from 1800 to 2000, and 30 minutes after 2000 to (last bus) 2335. If you arrive in the evening, it may be easier to get a taxi from the Waverley.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
245 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

thanks a lot for all the replies, As I will reach quite late at night (sometime around 21:00 pm), so have decided to take the Airlink bus till Waverley station and from there will take a cab till hotel.

It will be great if anyone can provide some numbers for city cab. I have managed the number for 'city cab edinburgh' but want to keep 2 or 3 alternative numbers.

Thanks and Regards,

Kumardip

Edited: 23 May 2013, 11:54
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

Hi. Don't worry. You will find a cab on Waverley bridge or a few metre away in the train station. You will not need to call a cab at 21.00.

Abs :)

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
245 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Required to Plan Edinburgh Trip

thanks Abs :)

Edited: 23 May 2013, 13:23