We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in Musselburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fife
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out in Musselburgh

Hi,

My Husband and I are attending Musselburgh Races next Friday night and wanted a bite to eat before we go - can anyone recommend somewhere close to the racecourse? Or we are staying at the Travelodge in Cameron Toll so anywhere near there would be good too. Thanks.

Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out in Musselburgh

Over the river is Lanna Thai (opposite Brunton Theatre) - great Thai food, very good pre-theatre menu.

Adjacent to this is the Wetherspoons if that is more to your tastes...

In truth, it is not a great town for dining out. Two superb ice cream shops though, and a lovely shore to eat them on!

Near Cameron Toll there isn't much as it is quite a residential area - but you're only a short bus journey to South Side / Uni area, plenty of options. Hanedans for example is maybe a mile up the road from Cameron Toll - very good Turkish food (meze, grills etc).

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
336 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out in Musselburgh

Musselburgh is not exactly endowed with good restaurants. The Lanna is where I would choose and is a fine little Thai place. The Gurkha Nepalese is OK. Otherwise I've been to the Caprice(ordinary Italian) and the David Macbeth Moir(Wotherspoons chain). Probably best to book if you choose any of the first 3. All within about half a mile of the racecourse

Edited: 14 May 2013, 22:07
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out in Musselburgh

There's an Indian Restaurant at the town hall (on the high street) which is no distance from the racecourse.

There WAS the Woodside Hotel right opposite the course - maybe someone can confirm it's still closed and hasn't been taken over?

There's also Ma Foreman's at the roundabout at the East end of the course. Have supped there in times past but it has upgraded to bistro since. http://www.mrsformans.co.uk/

If you take the direct route from Cameron Toll, you'll arrive in Musselburgh by newhailes Road, which will take you down to the Harbour at Fisherrow, the western outskirts of Musselburgh; Where you'll find a centre including Chibara, Indian food. Haven't used it - I mention it because of the geography.

There are other places on the way along N High Street, and the Brunton Halls also has a restaurant.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out in Musselburgh

I would recommend The Birdcage on the banks of the River Esk in a converted warehouse type building. Lovely bar area and good menu too - definitely the best place to eat in Musselburgh.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out in Musselburgh

I would recommend The Birdcage on the banks of the River Esk in a converted warehouse type building. Lovely bar area and good menu too - definitely the best place to eat in Musselburgh

Here's the website www.birdcageeskmills.com

Sorry couldn't edit above post on my phone!

Hazel

Edited: 15 May 2013, 23:45
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
336 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out in Musselburgh

The Woodside is still closed and boarded up. I visited the Birdcage and thought it poor value-one of our group had posh bangers and mash as a main for £11!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out in Musselburgh

I have never found the birdcage to be a rip off. The mains are all in the £9 -11 bracket. If you think that's too expensive for posh bangers and mash then there are plenty of other options.

8. Re: Eating out in Musselburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 07:17