We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

st andrews, scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

My Mother in law is having to have surgery at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh, and my Father in law can not drive so we are looking for accommodation within a short walk from the hospital. As we are not local can anyone recommend. It would probably need to do evening meals. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

I strongly suspect the nearest and probably the only B&B within easy walking distance is the Aaron Lodge. It gets good reviews here.

However, it is also worth pointing out that the RIE is well served by a multitude of bus services and there are frequent buses from the city centre and just about any of the locations on the south side direct to the hospital. The Dalkeith Road and Craigmillar Park/Minto Street areas both have plenty of B&Bs as well as a few true hotels and good bus services.

Mentioned in this post
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
781 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Aaron Lodge
Aaron Lodge
838 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
411 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

There's not a lot of accommodation nearby. Aaron Lodge is probably the nearest and does evening meals

aaronlodgeedinburgh.co.uk/edinburgh_guest_ho…

Probably about 500m away

Mentioned in this post
Aaron Lodge
Aaron Lodge
838 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

Just to endorse the other comments - I travel this road every day, the only hotel within 2-3 miles either side of the ERI is the Aaron Lodge. It looks a busy spot each day! A short walk downhill to the hospital, and only 15 minutes or so into town by bus.

Mentioned in this post
Aaron Lodge
Aaron Lodge
838 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

The Travel Lodge at Cameron Toll is only a few minutes bus ride away from the ERI and at £19 per room per night if booked at the right time is a bargain. (If you are booking for any lenght of time , book individual nights to get the best price) Across the road is the Cameron toll shopping complex where you have an extensive selection of shops and supermarket and places to eat

st andrews, scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

Thank you all,

Will have a look at Aaron house.

Thanks again for all the advice re buses

Much appreciated

Jan

Mentioned in this post
Aaron Lodge
Aaron Lodge
838 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

there is the Arden Guest house right next door to the Aaron Lodge,both are less than 5 minutes walk from the Hospital.

I actually work on the Little France Campus and can confirm loads of buses from all parts of the city to the hospital.

Mentioned in this post
Aaron Lodge
Aaron Lodge
838 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
France
France
Europe
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

there are a cpuple of places to eat in the Hosptal itself,a decent cafe in the main foyer doing a wide range of meals and there is the main canteen just off the main corridor,wide selection of stuff for lunch from 12-2.00 and a good selection for evening meal from 4.30 till about 7.00.I eat there quite often and the food suprisingly very good for a hospital.

At lunchtime there is a sandwich bar set up in tha main canteen ,bit like a Subway but much much better,nice tasty rolls and great fillings of your choice.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

Unclegus, we have probably bumped into each other in the RIE canteen at some point!

To the OP, whilst Aaron Lodge and Arden Guest house are nearby, it is a significant walk across a busy street and through the hospital grounds to actually get into the building. Staying somewhere like the Cameron Toll Travelodge or one of the many guest houses on Newington Rd would be less walking overall, as you can take a bus door-door (almost).

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Aaron Lodge
Aaron Lodge
838 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Arden Guest House
Arden Guest House
124 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,172 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

Have a look at the following map which shows the bus routes

lothianbuses.com/assets/files/RM130324.pdf

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accommodation close to Royal Infirmary

Nice to see your still alive & well Uncle G. Will be in the ERI myself on the 28th -1st June for a new knee. To much crawling & groveling LOL