We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

Hi everyone!! Can anyone who has recently recieved their first british adult passport give me an idea of how long the whole process took. From the time of sending it away to the time recieving it...

My partner is sending his away tomorrow using the post office check and send service however we fly out to the Canary Islands in 5 weeks and 6 days :o I know we shouldn't have booked any flights until his passport was in his hand (first adult passports should be allowed 6 weeks to process), but my parents booked our flights thinking he already had a passport!!!

This is his first ever passport, neither of his parents have ever had a passport either.

We live in edinburgh so his interview will be held in the Edinburgh Passport interview office.

Any stories or experiences would be very much appreciated :)

140 replies to this topic
Newcastle UK
Level Contributor
319 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

If you have sent, after a couple of weeks try to phone to ask on the progress. Post recorded so they have to sign so you can track and find out when it arrives. Good luck. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't arrive worse things happen.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

My son applied for his first adult passport last month - and it arrived in about 2 weeks! BUT importantly (I think) he had previously had a child passport, and both parents have passports. And he didn't need to go for an interview.

You might get it in time, but I think it's going to be a close thing. I should imagine getting an appointment for an interview (which I suspect you'll have to do) is what will eat up the time. Good luck!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,348 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

If your son previously had a passport, child or otherwise, then it's not his first passport.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

We sent the application away this morning using the check and send service! The man in the post office said that we 'might' get the passport in time however he also wished us good luck in a very sarcastic manner... He also told us that because both my partners parents don't have passports, they might contact him asking for more information. I'm hoping this doesn't delay it!! Also, his mothers birth certificate is an extract. It still has her full name, DOB, place of birth and both her parents details on it. He even told us that the interview for first passports is random, so he might not get called for an intervie...? I was slightly shocked by this as we were both under the impression that everyone applying for their first brittish adult passport MUST attend an interview.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

I agree, I think the interview appointment time will be lengthy. I got my first adult passport a few years back and it was super quick but i have either been on my parents or had my own childs passport since I was one year old. This is my partners first ever passport, hes never had one or been on someones elses.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

The complicating factors in this scenario (which is almost certain to increase the time significantly) are the fact that neither of his parents have passports and he hasn't had a child passport.

The checks that are required to verify identification in this situation are more time consuming and lengthy than if his parents had their own passports (or if he had had a child passport).

Given the lack of information that the UKPA have on himself and his parents I would be surprised if he wasn't called for an interview. The attitude of the person at the post office should highlight the challenge that your timescales present.

I wish you luck with your five weeks and five days.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

GingerChimp excellent answer!! My partner and myself are really worried about the whole thing... I don't fancy going on holiday without him! My parents are going too so its not as if I will be alone but you know what I mean. I have searched the net looking for a similair situation to mine but all the other forums have started of with the same secnario as mine but then end a few days in and I never get to find out if the poster gets their passport in time :/ We strongly suspect he will get called for an interview. I've read somewhere that after recieving the letter asking to book an interview, the person called up the local office every morning to see if there were any cancelations. Not sure if that would work in our favour??

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

Ok, here's our experience. Son recently applied for first UK (adult) passport, having previously travelled on a French one. I have a UK passport. 2 weeks after sending it off he got a letter inviting him to interview. Rang up next day and got an interview the following week. Had interview and passport arrived one week later. So, about 4 weeks in total. This was last month.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

Thanks for your reply! 4 weeks isn't so bad at all :) Especially with that being peak time for applications! From what I've read so far, it sounds like the passport arrives fairly quickly after the interview which is a good thing. Maybe that way we will be able to determine wether or not he is coming on this holiday with us. As soon as we recieve the interview invitation I know I'm going to feel a huge weight lifted of my shoulders. My fingers and toes are crossed and will remain crossed until that passport is in my other halfs hand!!!!

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

Please keep us informed of the timescales achieved so that others in a similar situation in the future may be able to see your experiences.

(Don't forget that in Pool-loungers example one of the parents already had a UK passprt ... )

Edited: 06 June 2013, 15:52
Reply to: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted