We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

Hi everyone!! Can anyone who has recently recieved their first british adult passport give me an idea of how long the whole process took. From the time of sending it away to the time recieving it...

My partner is sending his away tomorrow using the post office check and send service however we fly out to the Canary Islands in 5 weeks and 6 days :o I know we shouldn't have booked any flights until his passport was in his hand (first adult passports should be allowed 6 weeks to process), but my parents booked our flights thinking he already had a passport!!!

This is his first ever passport, neither of his parents have ever had a passport either.

We live in edinburgh so his interview will be held in the Edinburgh Passport interview office.

Any stories or experiences would be very much appreciated :)

140 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,288 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

My advice.....leave him at home!!

I've never heard of anyone having an interview for a passport application or people having such issues. Maybe the process has changed since I applied for mine but I renewed it a couple of years ago and it was back almost be return of post. I'd apply for one in the winter months not this time of year when I expect they are busier with everyone about to go on summer hols and suddenly realizing they don't have one or it's out of date.

Stockton-on-Tees...
12 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

Hi please could you tell me the number you called on to get a passport interview, every single time I call all the lines are busy I'm getting nowhere :(

Larkhall, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

I sent for my first adult passport 4 weeks ago and still heard nothing.

or even about interview..heard there is a bag log of passports..hope you get it on time x

Larkhall, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

I sent for my first adult passport 4 weeks ago and still heard nothing.

or even about interview..heard there is a bag log of passports..hope you get it on time x

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
75. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

I came to uk illegally long time ago, now naturalized british citizen. Can i apply for my first british passport without any previous passport, bcos i don't have one?

Please advise.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

If you are now a naturalised British citizen with official status, then you would be applying for a first time passport just like many UK citizens. However I expect it would take longer than average, because the Passport people will look VERY carefully at your application.

However I don't really feel qualified to pronounce on this issue. You may be able to find people who have been in the same situation as you?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

If you are now a naturalised British citizen with official status, then you would be applying for a first time passport just like many UK citizens. However I expect it would take longer than average, because the Passport people will look VERY carefully at your application.

-------

My neighbour who is a non EU legal immigrant applied for and got her passport quite quickly once she got her British citizenship. From what I've read from experiences here, it took no longer than anyone else's application. She did of course have to go for the interview, same as everyone else. If you think about it, why should it take any longer, because all the beauracracy and checking is done at the citizenship step. The passport application then is no different to anyone else.

Glinton
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

I am interested by your post, I too have sent mine off recently. Are you still waiting, or have you heard anything now?

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

In theory there should be face to face interviews for all First Passport applicants. Whether or not that is actually happening at present I don't know. The laws were changed a few years ago to introduce the face to face.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!

There's a longer thread on the same subject at:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…59092087

Reply to: First Adult Passport Application Nightmare!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted