We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Trail into Edinburgh?

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Walking Trail into Edinburgh?

I'll be in Edinburgh on business later in the year and I really enjoy UK walking trails. Is there a National Trail that leads into Edinburgh, similar to the Cotswold Way and other great trails, where you can walk 8-15 miles per day or so and stay in a different village each night along the way?

Ideally the trail would lead into Edinburgh so that I could travel to the start by public transmit upon my arrival and then conclude the walk at Edinburgh. If there isn't a trail like this, I could also do a trail in the vicinity that doesn't terminate at Edinburgh and just travel back to Edinburgh at the end.

Thanks for any tips regarding a walking trail in the Edinburgh area.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,796 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Trail into Edinburgh?

Check the walkhighlands website though most of the routes local to Edinburgh will not be as 'glamorous' as trails elsewhere

Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Trail into Edinburgh?

This is a pleasant walk.

Get yourself to Dundee by public transport and walk to Queensferry where you can get a bus or train into central Edinburgh.

There are lots of beautiful coastal villages along the route where you can get B&Bs or hotels

Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Trail into Edinburgh?

The Scottish National Trail was unveiled at the end of last year. It stretches from Kirk Yetholm in the South all the way to Cape Wrath in the north. It comes up from Melrose to peebles and then up into the outskirts of Edinburgh. It follows the Water of Leith (the small river that runs through the city) into Slateford before switching to the Union Canal and heading out. Slateford is about 2.5 miles from Prionces Street. Rather frustratingly there is no good website yet that I have seen for the walk

There's a flavour of it here on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D6jqIn17Fc

There is a book Scotland End to End, Walking the Gore-tex Scottish National Trail by Cameron McNeish that covers it in detail

The section from peebles area to Edinburgh is not the most inspiring Scottish countryside but is OK

Edited: 06 June 2013, 17:47
Florida, USA
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Trail into Edinburgh?

Thanks for these good suggestions; I'll look into all of them. I also noticed a trail called the Borders Abbeys Way that isn't far from Edinburgh that I'll investigate. If anything else comes to mind, please share. Thanks again!

Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Trail into Edinburgh?

There's the John Muir Way which runs up the East coast from the Dunglass, south of Dunbar to Edinburgh. It terminates at Fisherrow which is on the outskirts of Edinburgh. This is rolling farmland plus some outcrops - you are not crossing hills and dales.

This route can be extended at either end. The Berwickshire Coastal path will take you from Berwick on Tweed to Dunglass (or nearby dowlaw), and you can also continue along the Forth/Clyde canal, towards Glasgow.

There is a network of paths within Edinburgh and you can continue The John Muir walk along the foreshore part of the way across Edinburgh, or take a path which goes more towards the centre of the city through suburban estates.

The Fife Coastal trail continues westwards past the Forth Bridge, but you could cross and take the coastal trail through Dalmeny towards Edinburgh, terminating at Cramond Village.

You should consider alternatives to long-distance paths. It's possible to construct a route into Edinburgh from the South West, spending one or two days walking the length of the Pentland Hills, perhaps dropping off overnight at places like Carlops. That would give you a bit of height and a lot more vista. The nice thing about the Cotswold way are the views from the ridge, and the forementioned routes tend to be low-lying.

The Scottish National Trail, in toto, is a serious undertaking. Cameron McNeish would be happy if you bought his book. However it too gets a decent description on WalkHighlands:

It passes through a lot of good border locations on its way to Edinburgh, places well worth investigating like Melrose and Traquair, and would make an interesting walk. At that point it's using part of the Borders Abbey Way, so 2 birds with one stone.

Access to starts: train to Berwick or Dunbar. Buses to the borders towns and a local service from Kelso to Kirk Yetholm: http://www.munrosofjedburgh.co.uk/page2.html

Edited: 07 June 2013, 14:28
6. Re: Walking Trail into Edinburgh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 05:17