We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary in Edinburgh

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anniversary in Edinburgh

My boyfriend and I will be spending our 4 year anniversary in Edinburgh. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant that won't break the bank?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

What sort of food do you like - Edinburgh had most options but we don't know your preferences to advise appropriately.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

....and budget level...

i'll suggest Wedgewood and Thai Orchid to name two (very different from each other) both in the old town.

http://www.wedgwoodtherestaurant.co.uk/

http://www.thaiorchid.uk.com/

Just examples, as said above not much point in saying more until you indicate taste, budget etc.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

The Witchery has a very special atmosphere- expensive but there are early evening specials and just avoid the truly shocking wine list £££££ !http://www.thewitchery.com/

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

I'd second the suggestion of The Witchery. My best ever meal in Edinburgh was at Number One, which is a truly special anniversary experience. An a la carte meal with wine would set you back around £160 (or more depending on wine choice). Would that break your bank? We need an idea of budget and preferences.

There's loads of great choices in Edinburgh.

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

If you like Thai food then I'd head to Passorn on Brougham Street:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-…

or try Dusit Thai on Thistle Street in centre of town.

Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

The Witchery wine list is expensive, but it's apparently good value for the quality of wine. Some of the wines are sold at close to retail price (unusual since 100%+ mark-up is standard in the industry). We ate at the Witchery for our 10th wedding anniversary had had some pricey, but amazing wines

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

Thanks for all the responses :) We are open to any type of food. I'm thinking our budget would top off at around £100. Are there any restaurants with a nice view?

Bloomington...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

Just returned from 10 day trip to Edinburgh, Had dinner at the Witchery , as it came so highly recommened. I will simply say it was the most disappointing dining experience! Simply overated, Secret garden was not that

special, menu selections were lacking, Service was just awful, $250.00 bill for 3 , with no appetizer, and no desert or coffee, only 2 glasses of wine. The dishes after the meal were not removed for 20 minutes, we had to ask for them to be taken. Shameful !

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

If you go into John Lewis and have a very cheap lunch in their restaurant you will get one of the best dining views in Edinburgh for less than £20!!! Fantastic view over the firth of forth and Leith its worth just going there and having a coffee!!

Another great view is from here http://chaophraya.co.uk/menu/ I have not been there so cannot comment on the quality of the food etc but when it was Olo Roso it was our favourite restaurant in Edinburgh not just for the food but also for the view.

viewedinburgh.co.uk/restaurants/edinburgh-re… hope you find somewhere nice!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary in Edinburgh

I agree that the Witchery isn't worth the outlay. One of my favourites is The Grain Store. It doesn't have a great view, but it does have a great Edinburgh old town ambience, great service, and a very Scottish vibe to the food.