We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

UAE
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

Where a NZ family of four, children aged 8 and 10 years travelling to the UK for the first time this summer. We had planned to do the over night train to Edinburgh spend three nights in Edinburgh then rent and car and spent 8 nights driving back to London.

The over night train with advanced purchase and 2nd class seats is a minimum of £120 each one way - that seems incrediably expensive. I know this includes transport and accomodation for one night - but is it worth it?

Any thoughts from people who have done it - do you actually get a good sleep or to you arrive the next morning exhausted/

Appreciate your thoughts.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
113 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

Just my humble opinion but wouldn't it may more sense to rent a car, pay for fuel, stay one night accommodation to break the journey, for your entire family for much less than GBP480 cost for the train? That is what I would do. You can see more of the beautiful country and you can take different routes to and return from Edinburgh.

NetMaestro

(UAE as well)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,885 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

When were you planning this trip. I suspect that you are somehow trying to book outside of the 12 week period where cheaper tickets are made available.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

Advance purchase berths cost a lot less than the standard fare and usually become available about 12 weeks before travel date. scotrail.co.uk/content/caledonian-sleeper-ba… Prices from £19 per berth if you happen to travel on the least popular dates!

I used to use the sleeper quite regularly. I find I sleep, but not particularly well. Most people speak similarly.

Driving north is not a great idea, as British motorway driving is a high-concentration, stressful experience. You can get from London to Edinburgh in a day, but you will feel like a damp dishrag at the end of it.

UAE
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

Thanks for the prompt responses - planning the trip for early August.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,885 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

I was trying to do a dummy booking and it does seem to be quite expensive the beginning of August. You do know the Edinburgh festival is on at that time right? Have you booked accommodation already?

There is a new bus sleeper service from Megabus which goes to Glasgow. I think I would be considering flying or taking a train during the day.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

Have you looked at the prices if you use a family railcard? http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/ The savings are huge and it will more than pay for itself on one journey. You don't need to have a railcard to book the journey at the time, but you do need to have one when you travel- you can purchase it at any main railway station when you get to the UK.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

I'm puzzled as to why you are booking "seats". You should book a berth (a bunk bed compartment, or two).

Sitting on a seat all night will be uncomfortable to say the least, and probably negate any savings.

Alternatively, split the journey. Take a fast train to York, 2 hours north of London, and about halfway to Edinburgh. (The overnight train goes slowly!). Explore York for a day or whatever. Fascinating Roman and Viking city!

Then, get another train to Edinburgh and enjoy the scenery north of Newcastle in the daylight.

You can probably still get bargains on www.eastcoast.co.uk

UAE
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

Sorry had meant to say berths - party of 4 so looking at purchasing 2 x 2 berth cabins

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

As bargain berths are unlikely to be available for Edinburgh in August (it's kinda busy there you see), see what you can get to Glasgow instead or possibly Dundee as both are about an hour by train from Edinburgh

You might even want to ring Scotrail - it's 6:00pm in the UK now so it's probably you won't be able to ring them until 9:00am UK time

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight train from London to Edinburgh

Take a bottle of whisky with you, have a few drinks and you will sleep very well on the sleeper train. Might feel a bit rough the next morning though. :)