We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

Elgin Illinois 60120
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

Need your expert advise.... Best/quickest transfer from Edinburgh to Harwich cruise port for 6 people. on 8/26/13 - TA Friends please give this your best shot!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

you do realise they are over 400 miles apart?

what sort of time do you have

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

I would say a flight to London and then a transfer from there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

Quickest is probably to fly from Edinburgh to Stansted Airport and get a taxi from there. This will not be cheap, though. Another option would be to rent a car and drive. There appears to be a Europcar concession in Harwich and there is one in central Edinburgh. Allow at least 9 hours for the drive. (Although it is only 425 miles, much of this is not on motorways, so you will have to deal with traffic lights etc.)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,372 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

Flights:

Edinburgh to London Stansted with easyJet:

www.easyjet.com

Edinburgh to Norwich with FlyBe:

www.flybe.com

What time do you actually need to be at Harwich? It might be worth you coming down to London the previous day and catching the train to Harwich on the day.

UK
Level Contributor
7,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

26 August.... that's Bank Holiday Monday!

This means... loads of extra traffic on the roads. Packed trains (and, possibly, some trains not running due to engineering work... one would need to check). It's also possible that some flight schedules will be reduced, especially those on regional routes like EDI-NWI (which I would otherwise have recommended over EDI-STN)

I definitely wouldn't recommend driving that week-end... and to look very carefully at train/flight schedules.

Elgin Illinois 60120
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

I can leave very early on 8/26 but must be in Harwich by 3PM

Elgin Illinois 60120
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

unfortunately, I found that out AFTER I planned this little excursion, my fault!!

UK
Level Contributor
7,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

If you need to be there by 3 pm then flying EDI-NWI is going to be too risky... there is a flight that gets in at 11:55 which should give you enough time if all goes well but leaves you with very little leeway. (You would have to catch the 13:00 train from Norwich Station which is about 15 minutes from the airport by taxi - so a delay of much more than half an hour could make the whole thing turn to worms)

There are probably earlier flights into STN - I haven't looked.

However, if I was dependent on getting to Harwich for 1500 I probably wouldn't risk a flight on the same day... but either travel down the day before, or take the overnight train to London.

Edited: 13 June 2013, 17:58
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

knowing how much luggage you need on a cruise the overnight train sounds your best option.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,390 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh Harwich Cruise Port

EasyJet to Stansted, there's a flight arriving 8:00am, then car service to Harwich as it's 3 hours by train via London.

You could also consider flying to Gatwick with easyJet or BA then train to London Bridge, taxi to Liverpool Street and train to Harwich via Manningtree - but that's still another 3 hours

But you really should try to get to London the night before.