We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deals with Superbreak.com from London to Edinburgh

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Deals with Superbreak.com from London to Edinburgh

We're going to be in London in late July and wanted to take a two-night excursion to Edinburgh with our two young adult children (in early 20s). I've been looking at Superbreak.com for rail/hotel and there seem to be good deals, but wanted some feedback before booking. These are the hotels we're considering (price is in pounds and is per person, includes rail/hotel/breakfast for two nights): Ellersly House (150); Jurys Inn Edinburgh (200); Channings (180); Parliament House (196); Britannia (110). There are lots of other options, so if I've missed a gem, please advise and I'll see if it's available. Trying to stick to a budget, but also want clean and smart. Hoping for something central so we can mostly walk, but will to do some transport if necessary.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated - thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deals with Superbreak.com from London to Edinburgh

I'd skip Britannia. I can only imagine you haven't read any Britannia reviews is the only reason why you included that as an option, which makes me wonder, I am not being sarcastic but you do realise there are hotel reviews here? tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g186525-Edinburgh_… perhaps check them out and see whats highly rated.

As to pricing for a break compared to just booking it yourself, you'll have to do the maths, look at prices for rail tickets here …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search and hotels on their websites, and see how it comes out.

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deals with Superbreak.com from London to Edinburgh

Ha - yes, I do read the reviews (and generally drive myself crazy doing so) but threw Britannia into the mix at the last minute without checking.

One more question - is standard rail fine?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deals with Superbreak.com from London to Edinburgh

Of the ones listed, Jurys Inn is the most centrally located- fairly standard hotel but lots of restaurants etc on its doorstep and right in the heart of the city.

Ellersley is way too far out.

Channings is lovely and more upmarket but small boutique hotel on a residential street about 15-20 minutes walk to city centre- about 15 mins to Stockbridge (local village type area with bars/ shops/ restaurant).

Parliament House again is in the small boutique/ up a side street category but second in location to Jury's in terms of central to city.

Standard rail is fine- although for the upgrade to first class you do get a free meal and more comfort so take a view on the additional cost on that basis.

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deals with Superbreak.com from London to Edinburgh

Excellent info, thanks.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deals with Superbreak.com from London to Edinburgh

Can I just add - perhaps check out Booking.com for a good deal on hotels. I find Superbreak to be more expensive unless you are doing a theatre weekend inclusive deal with them.

6. Re: Deals with Superbreak.com from London to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:16