We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Fringe act top tips??

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Any Fringe act top tips??

My third Fringe festival in a row, though sadly this year I can only make it for one day - Sunday 11th August.

Therefore I need to chose wisely, does anyone have any recommendations?

Last year I got Daniel Simonsen and Joe Lycette who I'd never heard of before and both were great. More of the same please!!

Thanks in advance.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

May I suggest you try going round a few of the 'Laughing Horse' venues. generally pub back rooms in centre Edinburgh. No charge but you are expected to leave a few £'s if you enjoyed it. Over the years I have seen many great new stand up that went on to be household names a few years later. Most gigs last around an hour. Personally I have been going to see Fascinating Aida regularly over the last 30 years.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 08:53
London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

Yeh, have tried a few of those before but have had more misses than hits so far. In fact, almost exclusively misses, but it doesn't feel like a proper Fringe trip without trying some!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

I normally do about 3 a day for the duration and generally have a 75% success rate. But if you don't try you don't enjoy

Sheffield
Level Contributor
294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

Paul Foot:-)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

Between what times on the day? And do you want anything apart from comedy? I would have said La Clique but it's expensive and late in the evening

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

After 2pm, up until midnight, comedy only, prefer to stay away from the really obvious 'tv comedian' acts that cost c.£20 a ticket.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

At The Stand even the TV comics are good

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

A friend of mine has a Fringe show: https:/…brainsex

I went to the London previous for her 2011 show and it was a lot of fun and sold out to good reviews.

My general advice is to avoid anything you can see free unless it's put on by the BBC.

It's hard to tell what's going to be the big hit of the year until the reviews start coming in. Then everything sells out quickly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

"I went to the London previous for her 2011 show and it was a lot of fun and sold out to good reviews."

Ought to read "I went to the London previews for her 2011 show and it was a lot of fun. The Edinburgh run sold out to good reviews."

Edited: 19 June 2013, 17:23
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Fringe act top tips??

Try David Trent. His debut show got award-nominated last year but he's still a bit of an underground name.

His website gives a good indication of what he's like: http://www.davidtrent.co.uk

Abandoman is brilliant - Irish hip hop improv.

I love Tom Wrigglesworth - I've seen him live a few times and he always does interesting shows.

Tony Law, obviously.

And generally The Stand seems to have a really good selection process so anything there!