We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish money

H J
Atlanta, Georgia
12 posts
Save Topic
Scottish money

Please tell me about your Scottish money - pound notes and coins compared to U.S. money.

Also is it true that "In Scotland, ATMs offer the best exchange rates. Avoid exchanging money at commercial exchange bureaus and hotels, which often have the highest transaction fees."

Do small restaurants and stores in Edinburgh take visa credit card?

My journey will be Atlanta ->Paris->Edinburgh->Paris. let me know if you have any tips for money exchange during my journey.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scottish money

scotbanks.org.uk/banknote_denominations.php

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Coins_of_the_pound_sterl…

Yes - but check the charges YOUR bank will make for foreign withdrawals, tell them you are travelling abroad, have their overseas contact number for when things go wrong and the important thing about a PIN is that it's a Personal identification NUMBER with emphasis on the number as non-US ATM keypads do not have letters on them

Some do, some don't.

Other tips - you need to calculate the optimum amount to withdraw based on your bank's charges

Don't have any Scottish banknotes when you leave as it's extremely difficult to exchange outside the UK

And one general tip - if you are returning to Paris in order to fly home, consider a multi-city ticket so you fly from home to Paris and from Edinburgh to home

And check the airport websites for Paris-Edinburgh, don't automatically book it as part of your main ticket

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,728 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scottish money

Scotland is a very civilised place and British Currency has been used for thousands of years in Scotland, Also there is no reason for small shops and restaurants not to accept credit cards, just as they do in the States. We had no problem over there using your currency or our credit cards in the shopping and eating outlets. However, you need to check if your credit card company apply any extra charges for using your card abroad.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scottish money

There are no direct flights from Edinburgh to Atlanta, so the OP might as well change planes in Paris as anywhere else.

Note that Scottish bank notes are produced by the Scottish commercial banks and therefore there are (at least) three different designs for each denomination. Bank of England notes also circuiate freely in Scotland (particularly £5s) and are easier to change into a different currency once you have left the country.

Many but not all small vendors accept credit cards. Visa and Mastercard are accepted by any merchant that accepts credit cards. Most, but not all, will accept AmEx. Discover cards are not generally accepted in the UK.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scottish money

In general, only larger stores and organisations accept AMEX as their fees are too high for smaller businesses

Edited: 21 June 2013, 11:52
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,728 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scottish money

I accepted Amex. I ran a internet buisness from my home and was in business for 22 years, only closing this month. So, it's not true to say only larger stores accept Amex.

As a small business Amex offered me excellent terms.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 12:26
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scottish money

We are a small business and our credit card machine is with Barcays who do not let us use Amex for customers. We banked with RBS before that and they wouldn't either. Not our choice but what's implemented by the bank.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,728 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scottish money

I also bank with RBS and used their credit card machine, had no problem installing Amex on the Machine.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 16:17
8. Re: Scottish money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 06:16