We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days and counting!!!!!

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
5 days and counting!!!!!

My husband and I arrive in Edinburgh on Saturday. I can't believe the trip is here. Because of moving and a change of jobs I haven't put in nearly as much time planning this trip as I should have and I'm a bit nervous.

We will only be in Edinburgh for one evening and then the next morning. In that time we want to *see University of Edinburgh (we are considering studying there in a few years...) and

* walk the royal mile

Is there anything else we MUST do? We will be staying at Alpha House. Any dinner recommendations for us? Sunday afternoon we are driving up to St. Andrews where we will stay 5 more nights.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days and counting!!!!!

Edinburgh University:

There's the old University, based in its quad near Chambers Street, and some small departments are based nearby.

There's the newer part of the University based in George Square - there are quite a few nice places to eat in the area.

Then there's the campus at King's Buildings. And a few more other places near the outskirts or even outside town: Medicine, vet college, agricultural research ...

You can look at student accommodation for new students, at Pollock Halls, which is also handy as one way on or off Arthur's seat: a couple of hours' exercise with good views over town and well beyond.

Edinburgh University's a big place with MANY undergraduates - which bit of the university did you have in mind?

Alpha House is quite handy for visiting King's Buildings, but like any modern campus it doesn't help form the 'right impression'

http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.20490!fileManager/campus_maps.pdf

Food:

loads and loads of places on or near the Royal Mile, so an afternoon visiting historic locations could turn into a drink in a local pub, could turn into a evening meal. Saturday nights can be busy, so worth trying to book something in advance if you can.

Pubs

(samples only - there are more) Jolly Judge, near the top of the mile. The World's End, over half way down

Restaurants

Angels with Bagpipes, Wedgwood, David Baan, The Edinburgh Larder: that provides a range of price/quality. Let us know a price bracket and I'm sure you'll get more suggestions.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
203 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days and counting!!!!!

Thanks for your response. As far as the university, more than anything we just want to walk around the main campus a bit. We are starting to think about phD programs and it is on our long list. (Wouldn't even start for 3-5 years). We are specifically wanting to walk through New College.

As far as dinner, we are wanting something pretty casual. Pub food/drink would be our top choice. World's end looks awesome! Would we need reservations for something like that?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days and counting!!!!!

If you like fish and chips, you can't go wrong at World's End. Swimming over the edges of the plate.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
10,983 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days and counting!!!!!

According to Google, Worlds end is in a walking distance from our hotel on Grassmarket. Thanks for the tip!

Edited: 01 July 2013, 23:23
ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days and counting!!!!!

Hi- I bet you're getting excited..we're leaving in under a week aswell!!!! As for a restaurant recommendation, I would suggest 'the witchery' eventhough I see you want something casual. That restaurant is incredible.

6. Re: 5 days and counting!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:18