We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Fringe Planning

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Edinburgh Fringe Planning

Hello

I have planned to conclude our annual 2+ week Highland fishing trip in Edinburgh for 5 days for the Fringe & Tattoo. In some past years we have also ended up in Edinburgh in August and have planned only for the Tattoo, street performances and purchased last minute tickets for some venues of the Fringe.

Since we have really enjoyed the shows we have attended without much planning, this year I thought I would do some real research and plan out much of our 4 days. I have become a Friend of The Fringe and have received my 391 page book. Where do I start? I know, what are our interests, theater, music and some comedy.

Okay, here is my question to you seasoned Fringe planners. Do you attempt to see shows within a certain area of one(s) you selected on the same day or do you wander around the city criss crossing to locate venues. Do you plan around meal times or taking breaks. Realistically, how many should we plan per day. I know this seems like a basic question but since having received my copy my head is spinning.

Thank you for all replies.

Unclegus, I also want to plan to meet up for an Oink and cold one.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,346 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Fringe Planning

Personally I try to have at least 30 minutes between shows - though if it's the same psychical venue that can go down to 15 minutes.

I also don't like having to go from one end of town to another for consecutive shows and I will rearrange schedules so that I do shows for near venues on the same day.

I also leave the last few days unbooked so that I can see something recommended.

BTW you don't have to be a FotF to get the brochure - just spend money in previous years

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Fringe Planning

Personally, I criss-cross because my needs are particular and can only be served at certain venues. Classical music in case you're worried.

More often than not I've managed to scoot by foot and have managed up to 5 events in the one day, easily. Given some events may ony be on for a few days, I reckon you prioritise the concerts etc, and let the food take care of itself.

There are plenty cafes where you can do a quick lunch pitstop, or buy a sandwich and there are enough late-night restaurants, especially during the festival, so you can get something more substantial.

I just start by ticking everything I'm interested in, then I scribble in a big planner, and I eliminate clashes. Only then do I look at locations and timings.

I often start at 11 am (Main Festival) at the Queen's Hall, which might give me half an hour to get to an event some time after 1 pm. Depends where it is. Foot, bus, taxi if need be.

If you're only here for a few days, you can catch up on sleep later!

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Fringe Planning

Thanks Alan & Derek, good ideas. Will leave at least a day open and use a planner type to organize the other days. I think I will look at the musts and then back fill with others within that vicinity and let the food work itself in.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Fringe Planning

I used to kind of stick to venues / areas my fave being The Pleasance, lovely place to hang out and drink / catch a show you fancy, the assembly rooms and around the Guilded Balloon and Teviot.

Rob

5. Re: Edinburgh Fringe Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 05:17