We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

My husband and I are traveling to Edinburgh for two nights (July 23-25) with our two kids in their 20s. Short notice yes, but in our budget there's availability in both Macdonald Holyrood Hotel and Jurys Inn. We'll be arriving by train.

Would welcome feedback!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

The Holyrood is a better quality hotel but the Jurys is more centrally located. Up to you!

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

Thanks for your response. And I believe you recommended Channings before. I just checked prices on that and it's comparable to other two. Looks like it has more character and includes breakfast - would that be better? As you can probably tell, I'm having trouble making a final decision!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

Arriving by train you would need to take a taxi to Channings. It is at the other end of the city to the other two, but a pleasant walk maybe 15 minutes to Princes Street, the centre of the city. July is peak time so don't hesitate too long..!

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

While I awaited your reply I went ahead and booked at Channings because of its reviews, and because it looks so charming. Any idea what we should expect to pay for a taxi from train to Channings?

Thanks so much for your help. How's your weather?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,633 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

Lovely at the moment.

Ask us again on the 22nd ...

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

I would expect to pay somewhere between £5 and £10 for a taxi, depending on number of persons, amount of luggage and any detours the driver has to take to avoid tramworks.

As you like charm, I don't think you'll regret booking Channings. The other two hotels are good but rather bland/corporate.

As to the weather, Bobelinks always knows better than me ...

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

Thanks for the info - looking forward to our visit.

8. Re: Macdonald Holyrood Hotel vs Jurys Inn Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:18