We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fringe Festival

texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fringe Festival

We will be in Edinburgh in August to attend the Fringe Festival. Does anyone have suggestions for particularly enjoyable shows. We are mid-50's couple from US who enjoy music, dance, and theater. We would particularly be interested in any production with emphasis on Great Britain, Scotland, or Ireland.

Thanks!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fringe Festival

Have you reviewd the Fringe website?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,992 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fringe Festival

Festival Fringe, not Fringe Festival

As for what to see - depends on which dates you are going to be there. A quick thought would suggest that the Book Festival has more events specific to Great Britain (Scotland is a part of Great Britain), Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic

Try putting "folk" "scotland" "bagpipes" "ireland" etc into the edfringe website or if you are around on the 16th try Wendy Carle Taylor.

You might want to see if you can get tickets for Fred Macauley's morning show

texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fringe Festival

Yes, I have looked at the Fringe website and felt quite overwhelmed by the magnitude of choices. We will be there Aug 16-18th. Is the Book Festival a part of the Fringe?

Thank you for corrections and clarifications. This is our first trip to the Mythic Isles.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,992 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fringe Festival

The Book Festival is one of several Festivals that occur in August in Edinburgh along with the Art, International and Tattoo as well as the Fringe (There's also the Mela on the last weekend)

http://www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk/

Due to the one off nature of the events in the Book Festival it's generally essential to book in advance especially for people like Ian Rankin, Alexander McCall Smith and the memorial event for Iain (M) Banks.

Mythic Isles???

Edited: 09 July 2013, 21:30
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fringe Festival

I think you just have to do the Royal Military Tattoo. Its a fabulous show. Not part of the fringe as such but definitely something worth going to. You might still be able to get tickets.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fringe Festival

i think you should try to do the Royal Military Tattoo. Not part of the Fringe as such but a fabulous show worth seeing and you might still be able to get a ticket or two.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,992 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fringe Festival

North England country dancing - The Lock Inn

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fringe Festival

You say you're attending the Fringe.

There are 3,000 different shows - virtually all being shown for the first time. There is simply no rational way to decide, and no remote possibility of any useful selection advice on a website like this: it's no accident most of the earlier recommendations here are for things outside the Fringe (which doesn't include the book festival or the Tatoo.)

The only useful advice is about how to go about deciding, Options include:

- identifying artists you're interested in

- reading reviews in national newspapers and on their websites

- reading the brochures and the festival website

- walking around Edinburgh and deciding on the strength of the animated pitches on the streets almost everywhere

- sticking a pin in the brochure

Apart from a few fans of specific performers, I'd say the overwhelming majority of people attending the Fringe use one or both of the two last techniques. Or stick a pin into the list of ways of deciding.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fringe Festival

I have a question regarding the free shows. Can you go early morning day of to get tickets, or does it require that you stand in line a certain amount of time before the show? I am simply dumfounded at the amount of entertainment possibilities. We will be there in nine days! I didn't know that the festival was going on when I planned my trip, but now I am going to try and make the most of it. Well, at least for the couple of days that I have nothing else planned. Thanks in advance.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,992 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fringe Festival

Most venues have box offices that are open all day, they even sell for future dates