We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Overnight trip

Nashville...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Overnight trip

Hello! We will be arriving into Waverly in October about 5:30 pm, and depart the next evening at 7:30-I want to make the most of our time there. We plan to walk 30 minutes from Waverly to the Best Western Bruntsfield. I've got the directions and the streets look walkable. Would love any pub/cheap restaurant recommendations? We tend to love beaten up, divey bars.

The next day, we plan to hike Arthur's Seat-any lunch recs near this area? We'll leave for Edinburgh airport about 5 pm.

Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Arthur's Seat
Arthur's Seat
16,672 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
October
October
658 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Nashville...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

We want authentic Scottish pub food, preferably close to the hotel...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

Not sure when you are coming in October but the number 45 bus only runs Mon to Fri and the last bus is about 7pm -otherwise it's a good service. Download the Lothian buses app if you have a smart phone - it's really useful!

Hazel

Mentioned in this post
October
October
658 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

For pub food close to the Bruntsfield Hotel try Bennett's Bar at Tollcross, the Canny Man in Morningside or the Waiting Room also in Morningside. If you just want really good Scottish food - locally sourced, seasonal, delicious and excellent value for money go to Bia Bistrot at Holy Corner (between Bruntsfield and Morningside) 5 mins walk from the hotel.

Hazel

Mentioned in this post
Bia Bistrot
Bia Bistrot
517 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Nashville...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

We will be here the evening of Wed 9, leaving Thurs the 10th in the evening. Thank you Hazel for the pub suggestions.

Nashville...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

I can't find any menus online for Bennett's, King's Arms, Cuckoo's Nest, the International, Wee Red Bar...can you link me?

Mentioned in this post
The Wee Restaurant
The Wee Restaurant
259 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

The Merlin in Morningside Road (about 15 min walk from your hotel) is also worth a try and agree with Hazeywazy about the Canny Man's just 1 minute further on which has been a favorite of mine for over 50 years a few minutes even further at Morningside station you will find another two who's names at present I can't remember. This area is also a very safe for tourists. Almost forgot Ye Old Golf Tavern hidden away beside the church with the huge steeple that you will see to your left as you stand at the door of the hotel.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 19:02
Mentioned in this post
The Canny Man's
The Canny Man's
331 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

Here's a link to the menu at Bennets Bar - there eating area is called the Skean Dhu http://www.bennetsbar.co.uk/Menus.html

The wee red bar doesn't do food http://www.weeredbar.co.uk/listings.htm

International doesn't have a website (that I could find)

The Cuckoo's nest does food, but no website

And the Kings Arms ................. I really don't think you would want to drink there - seriously!!

Hazel

Edited: 07 August 2013, 19:07
Mentioned in this post
Bennets Bar
Bennets Bar
121 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Cuckoo's Nest
The Cuckoo's Nest
87 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Nashville...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

Thanks!

Nashville...
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

thanks again. hubby really wants Haggis for dinner... it seems more featured on lunch menus?

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Edinburgh Overnight trip

Haggis is not often served as a main course at dinner (even at Burns suppers) more often as a starter at a number of restaurants. The Wetherspoon Group of pubs used to serve it but have now taken it off the menu.