We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your best tip as a local?

London, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Your best tip as a local?

Going to Edinburgh in 13-17th of September, staying around Haymarket. What is your top advice (anything, anything at all) from a local to a visitor?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your best tip as a local?

Don't go on a day-trip to see Nessie....

(sorry, not a local, but sound advice anyway). :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your best tip as a local?

Edinburgh is a great walking city. There are lots of cobblestones and hills, so bring sensible shoes and enjoy getting places under your own steam.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Your best tip as a local?

Everywhere is uphill especially the descents so have good shoes

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your best tip as a local?

Layers, including something waterproof. Don't want to be a pessimist but I know of people from the US that came recently in July and only had winter type clothing and we have had glorious weather in July 20C plus. So bring a bit of everything and you won't go wrong. I agree with the shoes, bring walking shoes/trainers and enjoy the city on foot. If you don't fancy the walk we have a great local bus company LRT (Lothian Region Transport). It has great services within and out side of Edinburgh to East Lothian, Midlothian, etc and their day saver tickets is £3.50 all day for an adult......you can jump on and off as many buses as you like, you just show your ticket and off you go (they only take the correct money, no change, so have your multiples of 3.50 ready for however many travellers are in your party). You can get more information online, timetables, etc.

Lots of recommendations depending on what you want to do, what you like to eat, real ale pubs/whisky, etc......a great city, easy to get around, amazing architecture.........the possibilities are endless

London, United...
Level Contributor
722 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your best tip as a local?

Thank you all, this sounds great, me and my wife are huge walkers, we literally happily spend hours walking.

Do tell me Bazrat, where is one of the greatest places for ale? I take it brewdog is quite popular?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Your best tip as a local?

Make sure you buy your booze before 10pm in off licences and supermarkets because you can't buy booze in Scotland after 10pm in those type of outlets.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your best tip as a local?

As someone who stayed in Edinburgh for 27 years i would recommend visits to places like westerhailes,muirhouse,niddrie and granton,you will see the locals going about their daily business.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your best tip as a local?

As a real 'Edinburger' I can tel you you will have a great time with some wonderful walks. Not far from Haymarket is 'The Dean Village' where you can walk along the Water of Leith as it meanders through the city all the way down to the docklands and the River Forth where you can visit Britannia. A wee stroll up Edinburghs own mountain Arthurs Seat if the weather is clear will give you a wonderful vista You may wish to avoid StephenB 1965 suggestion on this visit till you become more familiar with our city and what some can find our strange sence of humour.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your best tip as a local?

Edinburgh has some great places for Hen parties and Stag nights. So, late at night, avoid them!

The grassmarket, the cowgate, can get noisy on Fridays and Saturday nights. Lothian Road has some clubs. Rose Street and George Street have such places but also have a bit more sophistication.

Late night clubs chuck the last of their customers out at 3 am.

Can you tell that I'm not really into clubbing?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your best tip as a local?

Britannia is probably over-rated, but The Shore and streets nearby are not. Good food and drink. We could start a sub-thread on that, but there are LOADS of comments on this, and the TA top restaurant reviews are fairly accurate.