We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

Has anyone here ever been on the Caledonian Sleeper?

I'm looking for advice as to if you can actually get a decent night's rest on it, as well as any helpful tips. My husband and I are thinking of booking a berth for our return to London from Edinburgh, although the website is kinda sketchy on whether we would even be sharing the same berth or not (!).

Thetrainline.com has better prices than ScotRail themselves, but the vaguer description.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

"Thetrainline.com has better prices than ScotRail themselves"

Are you sure?

I thought that the trainline sell tickets for the same price as Scotrail (and other train operating companies do) but the trainline also charge a booking fee and a credit card fee, unlike Scotrail and other train companies.

The ever reliable seat61.com/….UgAl_6zxBRE website mentions something about the trainline, but you would be best asking on the Train Travel forum where the Man in Seat 61 himself will give you a reply if he doesn't see this thread.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_…

Edited: 05 August 2013, 23:28
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

P.S. - here we go I found this on the Seat 61 wesbite:

"www.thetrainline.com charges a £1 booking fee, with no additional card fee if you use a debit card, but a fee of around £3.50 for using a credit card. You can also book at www.scotrail.co.uk, which has the same fares but with no booking fee, although seat61 gets no commission from ScotRail."

Personally I'd avoid the booking fees and book on the Scotrail website where prices will be the same as on the trainline, who will charge you the booking fee!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

As far as I know, the Bargain Berth fares are *only* available through the Scotrail website.

If you book two places together you will be sharing the same cabin (compartment) but have a berth (bed) each, in Standard class. In First class you get a cabin each and can ask for the intercommunicating door to be unlocked.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

£50 less is still a savings when the booking fee is factored in!

I've already bought tickets for other legs of the journey on both sites, so I am aware of the fees and such. It's just me wondering if I can get any sleep on it. I've read some reviews but they are a couple of years old...

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

It's just me wondering if I can get any sleep on it. I've read some reviews but they are a couple of years old

---------

Why would time make any difference? Nope, don't expect to get a whole lot of sleep its fairly bumpy and noisy, if sleep is your main objective, book a hotel :-)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

It's not the best night's sleep you'll ever have, but it's fun and a bit of a novelty. And it saves you a night's hotel costs. As said above, if you book standard class, you will be in bunks in one cabin. There's a sink in the cabin and bottled drinking water. First class gets you the same cabin with the top bunk folded away. Cabins have a connecting door that can be opened if you want to mingle with your next door neighbour.

I like the sleeper. There's something wonderfully civilised about sitting in the lounge car with a nightcap as the train pulls out, and getting woken up with breakfast in bed at your destination.

The biggest issue for me is the early hour of the arrival. You have to vacate your cabin by 8am.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

I like the sleeper. I use it quite often going to meetings in London for work - and love how you can turn up at the station after 10pm and wake up in London at 7 am, before the city has really come to life. I have had lots of super walks through empty streets to go and have a nice cuppa before my meetings.

No, the sleep is not probably the best - but I don't really mind - there's just something about it I really like. If you do go first class you get a drink in the lounge car and a nice cooked breakfast in your berth (they do a veggie one too) - and can use the first class lounge (well you can at Euston, don't know what there is at Kings Cross).

Personally I'll never book with the trainline again as their computer crashed at the end of my booking - after taking over £60 but before getting the tickets - and I've never got the money back from them despite loads of calls and emails etc.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

I've used it a couple of times; not that recently so maybe the rolling stock will be different. I found it a bit difficult to get settled to begin with, but got a decent amount of sleep and didn't wake until the knock at the door. Maybe the dram helped ...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

Thank you all for the replies! We went ahead with the tickets, and I plan to try the whisky. :)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caledonian Sleeper anyone?

The rolling stock will not be diffferent.

The track may be different as the old rails are replaced with continuously welded track so there's a lot less of the old clickety-clack-clickety-clack noise.