We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,088 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

I'm looking for somewhere to get a main meal on a budget. Something like maccaroni cheese, shepherds pie - plain homely food but filling. Prefer not chips, or greasy pies and don't need courses.

It doesn't have to be there exactly, could be along the road, Minto Rd. I have tried to search but the old Costa's and Nero's keep popping up.

Not too keen to use a pub as a single female, besides would like to eat 6-7ish which may be a problem with cafes closed and pubs not doing food.

Will be at the Royal Yacht 1st day, and Holyrood the second if there is somewhere around there.

Any suggestions or where to look for info would be welcome please.

Mentioned in this post
Holyrood Park
Holyrood Park
2,332 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

You could try Heller's Kitchen on Salisbury Place - about a 10min walk from the Travelodge - really good homely food and good reviews.

http://www.hellerskitchen.co.uk

Or Cafe Cassis on Salisbury Road. http://cafecassis.co.uk

Hazel

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Cassis
Cassis
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

Food near the Royal Yacht. I assume you're after lunch in this case. You enter the Yacht via Ocean Terminal, and there are a lot of eateries within OT. They are pretty much all chains, yes that includes a Cost and a Starbucks but there are half a dozen other places, and you may find something you fancy. If you walk a block or two back towards town, there's a cluster of cheap cafes near the Portland Place traffic lights.

But a block or so further and you get to Junction Street Bridge - and if you turn left onto Coburg Street you'll find the Water of Leith Cafe Bistro. A mix of Scottish, French, and comfort food. Good quality and not ridiculously expensve. That would be my recoomendation, but I'm biased: I'm a regular. Daytime not evening. Check it out on TA or http://www.thewaterofleithcafebistro.co.uk/

Holyrood: the Palace has a ridiculously expensive cafe attached. But I assume if you're going to Holyrood, you'll be travelling up or down the Royal Mile. So heading up, from the bottom: Clarinda's is a coffee/cake shop - probably not what you're after. Then there's a bit of a gap as you walk up past the Canongate Kirk, but then you get to another cluster of cafes and restaurants - Truva, which is a bit slapdash but serves a mix of Turkish/British; then 'Has Beans' which is a coffee shop with decent grub, and a few others leading you towards the World's End - which yes, is a pub, but has a reputation for wholesome food.

Near the Travelodge: try the Cameron Toll Shopping Centre. It has a cafe upstairs. Not haute cuisine, but I've seen macaroni cheese ... it calls itself a 'premium' shopping centre - which it may have been when it first opened. It's a typical middle-range shopping centre and you'll get basic food there. http://www.camerontoll.co.uk/food/

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Terminal
Ocean Terminal
495 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Water of Leith Cafe Bistro
Water of Leith Cafe...
607 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Holyrood Park
Holyrood Park
2,332 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,090 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Canongate Kirk
Canongate Kirk
116 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The World's End
The World's End
2,053 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

If you're heading into town from Travelodge, you have to go past Minto Road to find somewhere good.

There's really nice food to be had at Cafe Cassis - not sure it fits the 'wholesome' category but worth investigating their menu. http://cafecassis.co.uk/

Beyond that, on South Clerk Street, there is cafe after cafe. I'm sure you'll find something suitable there.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 23:01
Mentioned in this post
Cassis
Cassis
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

Hi there, The Salisbury Arms would be a good choice, just down the road on Dalkeith Road. It's a bit like posh pub grub but prices a reasonable, the burgers are amazing!

http://www.thesalisburyarmsedinburgh.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
The Salisbury Arms
The Salisbury Arms
1,147 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,088 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

Thanks everyone. It looks like I won't go hungry ;-)

I was concerned being from a tourist area here and city centre there that a good place is hard to find and I didn't want to spend my precious time wandering in the wrong directions. Not keen on the hotel meals.

I've copied the places mentioned for use and see where I am at the time. Solid lunch on the 3rd day required before a long trip down the west coast so I'll try Dereks spot. Looking forward to it now.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

Hi SueB, I agree with the Cafe Cassis suggestion, such a friendly place. I've dined solo there at lunchtime, and felt very comfortable doing so. The French cuisine is delicious, and the family that run it are charming.

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Cassis
Cassis
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

Agree about Cafe Cassis, Alison & Denis are fantastic hosts. On a budget any of the Wetherspoon Pubs are good value for food and if visiting Brittania 'Foot of The Walk' is only a few minutes walk and you are more than welcome ordering a coffee or soft drink than alcahol. A lot of the Big chain supermarkets like Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons serve good food with most mains under £5. If you are around Princess Street La Lanterna on Hanover Street does a great £4.95 three course lunch if you like Home Made Italian food

Mentioned in this post
Cassis
Cassis
La Lanterna
La Lanterna
2,020 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
edinburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

if push comes to shove you've always got the food court at the shopping centre across the road. anyone know if sainsburys has a café? wouldn't be anyones first choice but it wont kill you!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

There's no café in that Sainsbury's - just the food court up the stairs plus Costa / Gregg's on the ground floor.

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,088 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

I like the idea of French or Italian. Something we don't get down here and I'm missing a holiday the last 2 years.

However I'll have to see how the budget goes as I'll be taking my friend out for the second part of my journey so it maybe Weatherspoons/supermarket.......lovely to have the choice though. Thanks

Edited: 13 August 2013, 10:26