We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,866 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

I'm looking for somewhere to get a main meal on a budget. Something like maccaroni cheese, shepherds pie - plain homely food but filling. Prefer not chips, or greasy pies and don't need courses.

It doesn't have to be there exactly, could be along the road, Minto Rd. I have tried to search but the old Costa's and Nero's keep popping up.

Not too keen to use a pub as a single female, besides would like to eat 6-7ish which may be a problem with cafes closed and pubs not doing food.

Will be at the Royal Yacht 1st day, and Holyrood the second if there is somewhere around there.

Any suggestions or where to look for info would be welcome please.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,866 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

Just been checking prices and location, all look excellent & picked out a couple I can afford. Especiallly helpful are the ones near Waverley Station surprisingly as it turns out I need lunch between long travels on 2 days & a couple of choices for the day between the boat and the palace. Thank you.

Thought I'd mention La Lanterna is apparantly under new management and the lunch menu starters are £5+ so £10+ a main meal. Couldn't find the £5 lunch :-( Maybe next time when I don't have so many expenses.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

There are always going to be relatively cheap deli lunches. Not talking Subway. Boat? If you're at Britannia there are a number of chain cafes in Ocean Terminal as well as places like Pizza Express. However if you head out of Ocean Terminal, turn left at Britannia Spice, thn walk for 5 minutes there are loads of places on or near Commercial Quay.

The ones ON Commercial Quay are middle to expensive but there are cheaper places nearby e.g. Cafe Domenico on Sandport Street, or Relish, on Commercial Street, one of these deli cafes I was talking about.

There are plenty cheap cafes on S Clerk Street, where I was pointing you in the first place - it's student land and relatively cheap housing. Look at google street view ...

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

You will find the La Lanterna £4.95 menu for Starte,r Main course, Sweet or Coffee on the lunch special when you go there, It is not advertised on the their web site and it is available 12 till 3. It is still run and operated by the same family but Tony has retired. I have had lunch there 5 times in the last month and is both great value and very tasty. The two Wetherspoons venues on George Street are also very good value

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

French:

if you head from Britannia towards Junction Street Bridge, then turn down Coburg Street, you can lunch at the Water of Leith Cafe Bistro. Husband and wife team, he's French, she's Scottish and they're both lovely. As is their food. They always have at least one french dish on their chalk menu as well as scots dishes like Cullen Skink. Or something simple like a croque. Lots of locals use the place; I'm one.

Cassis also has Frnch influences, and I hope won't break the bank.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-…

Italian:

Ristorante Vittoria on Leith walk does an extensive menu, as well as a daily lunchtime menu which is a lot cheaper.

PS I mentioned the cafes in Cameron Toll for nearness/cheapness - not particularly great quality.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,866 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

Great Mike. That explains it.

So many to look at. I was just keen on avoiding sausage rolls and chips as due to health issues I can't eat much in the way of fat - both on the plate and round my middle :-)

Also have a lot of expenses this trip and eating smart food alone I don't find much fun.

16. Re: Somewhere to eat near Cameron Toll Travel Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:19