We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organic Grocery Store?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Organic Grocery Store?

I am wondering if there are any organic grocery stores in Edinburgh that are accessible to the major tourist areas. I am not looking for a farmer's market, but a physical building that might sell organic dairy products (e.g. yogurt), organic fruit, and organic packaged snack items like granola bars. We will not have a car, nor the ability to refrigerate anything, so I am looking to buy small quantities of perishable foods or foods that will not spoil and can be taken with us. We are in Edinburgh over a Friday and Saturday.

Thank you very much for the help!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

Henderson's cafe on Hanover Street is in the centre of the New Town. It has a small shop just above. It sells a range of veg and organic foodstuffs.

The Edinburgh Larder on Blackfriars just off the Royal Mile is not vegetarian but is part shop part cafe.

Earthy's, at Canonmills, north of the city centre, is a much bigger shop, with a cafe/restaurant. Large range of fruit/veg and other things to eat.

Don't know where you're staying so I hope one of these might suit.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

Many supermarkets sell organic products so you may well find some on the shelves of the nearest to your accommodation.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

Thank you for the prompt responses, Derek G and Williamnt. We are staying at Old Waverly Hotel on Princes Street. I am not concerned if the location is close to our hotel (which we chose to be close to the train station), as we plan to get the food as we are out and about sightseeing.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

Henderson's is fairly close and you'll probably wander by it if you're looking at Festival shows on George Street - it's a minute's walk north from there. If you're on the Royal Mile, the Edinburgh Larder will be close.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

Real Foods in Broughton Streeet is another option and is not too far from where you will be staying

http://www.realfoods.co.uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

Real Foods is a good option, but any good sized supermarket will have a good range of organic fruits and dairy products. The Sainsbury's in St Andrews Square is close to your hotel but is small and may not have much organic food. The Meadowbank Sainsburys or Southside Tescos are probably the nearest full sized supermarkets to your hotel. Both are accessible by bus.

Granola bars are not really a UK thing. There are flapjacks, which are similar but much sweeter.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

Marks & Spencers further along on Princes Street sells organic items, such as yoghurts, bread, snack bars etc.

There is also a small Sainsburys at St Andrew Square where you might also get organic snacky type food.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

Thank you to everyone who has responded. You have helped me compile a wonderful list of options!

9. Re: Organic Grocery Store?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 07:19