We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

music and drinks

Burleson, Texas...
4 posts
Save Topic
music and drinks

We will be in Edinburgh in mid September. We are looking for a cozy place for traditional music and drinks after dinner. Any suggestions?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: music and drinks

Trad jazz or trad folk?

For jazz, look at the Jam House on QUeen Street, or second best, the Jazz Bar on Chambers Street.

For folk, Sandy Bell's bar on Forrest Road.

Someone will be along in a minute with more choices.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,157 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: music and drinks

What do you mean by 'traditional'?

Burleson, Texas...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: music and drinks

I probably should have have said Scottish Folk music.

Burleson, Texas...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: music and drinks

I meant Trad Folk, but we like jazz too, so thanks for those suggestions.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: music and drinks

Traditional Scottish sessions - Sandy Bell's as mentioned or the Royal Oak on Infirmary Street. Both have sessions practically every night. The Captain's Bar on South College Street is also gaining a good reputation although I haven't myself yet found a chance to drop in.

As to jazz, the Jazz Bar is where the established musicians hang out. Bill takes a pretty wide interpretation of what is "jazz", so you could find anything from contemporary folk through salsa to something approaching prog-rock. Check the programme on their door or website.

All those four are within yards of each other in the area south of the Royal Mile. Whistlebinkies and the Scotsman Lounge are also in that area and both have music nightly although I usually prefer the music at the venues above.

There's also a regular jazz jam on Sunday evenings at Whighams in the west end.

Plenty of other places have sessions one or two nights per week, or other live music. If N'Awlins is your style, try the Diplomats of Jazz at the Reverie Bar on Sundays, for example.

The gig guide www.gigguide.co.uk provides comprehensive if brief listings.

Burleson, Texas...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: music and drinks

Thank you so much.

7. Re: music and drinks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 06:20