We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friends Visiting

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Friends Visiting

Hi All,

My best mate and his wife are coming up from Durham for the weekend. They've just had a baby and it's the first weekend break they've had in a while. I've rented a flat in Durham for the past 4 yrs but to say I live here is a stretch, I'm in construction, currently near Aberfeldy, and only get down for the weekends.

Anyway looking for some ideas to fill Saturday daytime and nightime. Somewhere good for a look around on the daytime (Scottish History Museaum?), some new places to eat, and some bars to visit. Have done most of the usual haunts in the grassmarket, mile, rose & george street so looking for new place or places really worth a visit to eat or drink.

Be interesting to see how many places me and the missus have been missing out on.

Cheers

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friends Visiting

If you've done the centre of town, visit Leith. Lots of Edinburgh people do because there are loads of good restaurants and pubs.

Areas to look at:

Dock Place and Commercial Quay: if you want to flash the cash, Tom Kitchin: michelin starred tasting menu. Mithas - very expensive but top rated Indian. Or A Room in Leith, International Starters, La Garrigue, Daniels Bistro - and more.

The Shore: The Kings Wark, Gastropub; Malt & Hops: traditional, a good pint. Martin Wishart: similar to Kitchin. The Granary; the Ship on the Shore; The Shore; Fishers in Leith.

Sandport Street / Coburg Street: Roseleaf Pub. Good food and drink. Quirky. Water of Leith CAfe Bistro for decent lunch; not open in the evenings.

There are loads more places depending on whether you want trad or trendy.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,283 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friends Visiting

Definitely National Museum of Scotland on Chamber Street. Its well worth a (FREE) visit. Take note that the wonderful light from the central atrium turns out really well on any photos you may take of family and friends. We just recently enjoyed a super Thai meal at Thai Pad in Leopold Place, London Road - very good!

Woody x

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friends Visiting

I agree Derek, Leith is awesome, thats where our flat is! Though never tried the high end places we absolutely love A Room in Leith, Malt and Hops and Kings Wark. Had our first visit to the Roseleaf last month and the other half lover the cocktails in teapots! May look into getting into The Ship as it always looks amazing and my mates wife and I love seafood.

Thanks for the advice woodybark, we have been to the national museum before but only managed the first floor, I think this is definitely first place for through the day at the moment. Thai sounds interesting, will look at the menu to see if it will suit us all!

Thanks guys

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
297 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friends Visiting

Just to warn you a new baby may or may not be compatible with all this. It may sleep happily through pub and restaurant visits. Or it may yell the house down and be inconsolable just when the food arrives, or worse.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friends Visiting

Baby is staying with gran!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Friends Visiting

Last weekend of the Fringe - plenty to do

7. Re: Friends Visiting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:21