We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

Hi, I've got some Hilton vouchers to use, and as expected they are in different cities, so staying 2 nights in Edinburgh but I'd like to stay one night somewhere outside of the city centre. Ideally a place that is on some sort of Loch and accessible by public transport.

I've had a look at Loch Leven which is very close but I cant see any accommodation on the Loch.

Has anyone got any suggestions to a Loch, close to Edinburgh via public transport with accommodation on the Loch? Any advice, much appreciated. Cheers.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,570 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

Hotels near Loch Leven listed on T.A.

tripadvisor.co.uk/HotelsNear-g190782-d159774…

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

Hilton voucher - Loch Leven is nice but doesn't have a nearby Hitlon.

Hilton Dunkeld isn't quite on a loch, but is right next to the River Tay and Dunkeld is surrounded by hills, wildlife and with easy access to places like Blair Atholl, Perth etc. - not sure you'll find a Hilton by a loch close to Edinburgh but I may be wrong.

Accessible by train ("Dunkeld & Birnam") 1 1/2 hrs from Edinburgh with a change of train at Perth.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

Cheers Derek, the hotel on the Loch doesn't need to be a Hilton, I'll use the Hilton voucher in Edinburgh then go for another night near a Loch, that can be a B&B or hotel. So it's just a case of finding a Loch that is either near Edinburgh or on the way back to Manchester via train, nothing obvious is jumping out though apart from Loch Leven, but the issue there is it sounds like all the hotels, b&b are in the town.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

The problem is easy public transport. There are plenty places accessible by a combination of buses, so maybe not 100% convenient. I'm assuming you would prefer train to bus, but that does limit things a lot.

There are a couple of Hotels and Inns in Linlithgow (see Linlithgow Loch, Linlithgow Palace) but not overlooking the loch. That's 20 mins from Edinburgh by train.

2 hotels in Kinross which are equally handy for Loch Leven but not on its shores.

If you are prepared to travel further north, the Four Seasons Hotel in St Fillans is on Loch Earn. Meets most of your requirements but travel less convenient.

If you will travel south, the Tibbie Shiels Inn is on the neck of land separating St Marys Loch from Loch of the Lowes.

Or, near Edinburgh, on the waterside, just not a loch: the Hawes Inn, South Queensferry, serves good food and right next to the Forth Rail Bridge.

I'm strugging to think of a good 'lochside' hotel that's near Edinburgh.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

Thank Derek, really appreciate that. Yeah transportation is the problem. I'll look at all those options tomorrow.

linlithgow scotland
Level Contributor
993 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

Train every 15 mins to Linlithgow.....

http://www.linlithgow.com/

This hotel has just re-opened after refurbishment...

westporthotel.co.uk/west-port-hotel/accommod…

And the Star & Garter hotel will also re-open shortly. This hotel is located adjacent to the railway station.

Enjoy Scotland!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

If the sea will do, take a train to North Berwick ( about half an hour) and stay at the Marine Hotel

8. Re: 2 days in the city and 1 at a Loch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 05:17