We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Edinburgh

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First Time in Edinburgh

I have just booked flights and Hotel for 3 days in October. We will be staying in the Apex European Hotel. Reviews seem quite good but I have noticed it is about a 20 minute walk from the City Centre is it OK to walk about in this area ?

Also wanted to know if there is anything going on around the 7th-10th October that we should do while in Edinburgh ?

Thank you in advice :)

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

We are staying at the B&B Edinburgh close to Haymarket. Does the tram go by there or is it a quieter neighborhood? 3dnations, you said there were many pubs etc. when you thought it was in Grassmarket. Would this still be the case? If not, how far from our B&B is the Grassmarket area? Thank you for any suggestions on restaurants or pubs in the Haymarket area.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Hi

Looking at the map your B&B is around the Stockbridge area which is only a short walk to the West End of Princes Street and George Street which has many pubs clubs and restaurants. There are also some nice places to eat and drink in Stockbridge, what type of places do you like?

The trams don't go anywhere yet I'm afraid as the lines are still being laid

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
997 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Haymarket is within easy reach of the city centre on foot (and there are an increasing number of good restaurants in the Haymarket area too). It's just a 10 minute walk from Princes Street. Haymarket is also well served by buses - see the Lothian Buses website for more details. If you want a trip out of Edinburgh, Haymarket station is very convenient - see www.scotrail.co.uk

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

do not forget to visit Grassmarket!!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Ok so I ended up changing the reservation to The Place Hotel. After much searching online I found a superior double room for less then a room in the Apex European! I'll just make sure to pack ear plugs but we are much more centrally loacated now !

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

We like more of the local flavor so we can learn more about the people and the area. Probably mid-range pricewise and local fish would be good.

Thank you for the information on the tram. We were looking forward to it but it will give us something to come back for.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

York Place has just re-opened to normal traffic this week after many months of tram works. So the tracks are there, workmen are still prettifying the area - but no trams. You can have nice conversations with locals about the tram project, and the cost ... remember to duck.

Equally handy for the East end of George Street / Princes Street, and for the top of Leith walk, both with shops and restaurants. And the Portrait Gallery is no distance up the road ... Nice place to visit even if you're not daft for art.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Derek G thank you for the update that is fantastic news !!! Really looking forward to our visit next month :)

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

Eric, Ditto Lollie-22 You've all been a great help. Smurfinwa

20. Re: First Time in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 07:17