We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haymarket Station and Bus Routes to West Coates

Aberden
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Haymarket Station and Bus Routes to West Coates

Help please, I am coming down to Edinburgh in 2 weeks time by train to Haymarket Station.

Can anyone please advise if I can get a bus outside the station going a few stops to accommodation in West Coates? I am travelling with my mum who is retired and a couple of cases.

Have looked at the map, but am unsure if the bus or even taxis can get through due to the tram works at Haymarket.

Secondly as am down for approx 6 days do I purchase a bus day ticket on the buses or do you need to get them from LRT shop.?

Thank you for your help

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haymarket Station and Bus Routes to West Coates

Come out of Haymarket Station, turn left and you will find a bus stop. Depending where in West Coates you are going it will be either the first stop after you get on or the second.

You can buy a day ticket on the bus, £3.50 for an adult, exact fare only. If your mother has an Scottish National Entitlement card her travel will be free. Just place it on the card reader.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 10:02
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haymarket Station and Bus Routes to West Coates

If your mum is able walk up to 1/2 a mile and your cases are wheelie ones you could even just walk. Depending on where in West Coates you are going it would only take 10 -15 mins at most to walk from Haymarket. You would be on the bus for 2 stops at most (£1.50 single fare or £3.50 day ticket if you think you will use the bus more that day)

At present (not inconceivable it could change thanks to £$%^&^% tramworks!) you would pass the taxi rank on the way to the bus stop. Not sure you would get a completely favourable reaction from the taxi driver when you say you only want to go a few hundred yards along the road, though he can't refuse to take you! :-)

Aberden
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haymarket Station and Bus Routes to West Coates

Thank you very much for both replies. Unfortunately neither of our cases have wheels and I kind of thought that the cabbies might give us a foxtrot oscar as by road its a relatively short journey. Unfortunately mum has Osteoarthritis so her grip is limited or we would have walked. I will keep fingers crossed for the bus and let mum know that her bus pass is operative in Edinburgh.

Appreciate your time and clear advice

4. Re: Haymarket Station and Bus Routes to West Coates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:18