We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

Hi

Looking for fun outdoor activities to do with my bfs 12 year old daughter late October and came across a Groupon voucher for a Surfing lesson at Coldingham. I have surfed a few times before but it was in Australia and nice and sunny so I wondered if anyone had any experience of surfing in Scotland, especially at this time of year? I know it will probably be a cold wet day but thinking with the wetsuit etc it would still be do-able. Am I mad? She loves the water and we have done a lot of snorkelling so I know she would love this

Look forward to hearing your responses

Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

It is Scotland, the waters will be cold whatever the time of year- Billy Connolly has an old story about when he was young and went to the beach and how the water lapped up his thighs higher and higher until - aaaaaaarrrrrergggggghhhhhh

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

October is actually the warmest sea temp month, for reasons which any GCSE Geography student will (hopefully) explain : …europa.eu/themes/…tab-see-also

The Atlantic might be less chilly than the North Sea at least.

Mike

Edited: 08 September 2013, 10:14
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm thinking to go for it and just make sure we have lots of jumpers and flasks of soup to heat us up when we come out of the water!

If anything it will be a day to remember (for good or bad reasons lol!!)

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

Mikey, the sea temperatures are warmest at this time of year due to heating lapse rates. Water heats up far slower than air, and also cools down at a slower rate. Generally speaking by September/October the sea has in theory been heated by 3 months of warmer weather, during which time the sea temperatures have been playing 'catch up'.

For the reverse reason surface sea temperatures around the UK are usually at there lowest in March/April. Hope that makes sense ?!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

There are lots of surf spots on this beautiful coastline and Coldingham is a very good spot for beginners. Nice gentle beach break on a lovely sandy beach. Here's the webcam for it:

http://www.stvedas.co.uk/Surfcam.htm

This is the surf school/hire place I know about there. They were very friendly when I went to them for a bit of equipment I was missing a few years ago. As they are also a hotel, at least your wetsuit will be warm when you get into it. There are people surfing on the webcam right now - and it's even sunny!

You always need a wetsuit in the North Sea but you might not even need bootees or gloves in October - I'm sure they will kit you out appropriately. I have some friends who run another surf school just along the coast. They surf right through the year.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

Thanks for the info, it is a surf school the deal is with, Momentum Surf School. Just had a look at the webcam, the beach is gorgeous! Definitely going to book it now and hope the weather is kind to us

Thanks for all the info from everyone

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

BB - I was aware, just wearing my virtual teachers hat !

Mike

Essex
Level Contributor
29,142 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

It is not called COLDingham for nothing.....

Good luck!

Brrrrrrr.......

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

Surfing is good all year round along this bit of coastline. BUT you have to wear a wet suit. Revenshaugh Sands between Dunbar & North Berwick is very popular especially in January & February. There are a number of surfing schools in East Lothian and Scottish Borders running all year round.because of the good waves.

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surfing at Coldingham in October, am I mad?

Brings back good memories! (Very) many years ago a group of us used to stay in the youth hostel up the hill overlooking the bay and canoe surf before adjourning to the small hotel at the car park for some scampi and chips, a few (?) pints, and a game of dominoes or darts.