We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,490 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

I have to make my way from Edinburgh to Glasgow either by bus or train.

The aim is to be in Glasgow and catch the airport bus there to meet my friend off the 7.25 plane.

Ideally I would prefer to travel around 5.30 but I would guess this is rush hour. Is it more expensive, would I need to book, will I be jammed shoulder to shoulder with people.

I could leave at 4.30 but will be wandering around like a spare part suitcase in tow, or later and ask her to wait. Not so keen as we have a long journey by car after.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

Iv'e regularly done this trip by car and it can be very slow leaving Edinburgh in the middle of the rush hour because of the traffic. I would go for the 16.30 to make sure you are on time

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

If you are planning on making a one way journey from Edinburgh to Glasgow the difference in cost between an off-peak and peak (1645,1700,1715,...,1815 trains) single fare is about 30 pence. Considerable savings can however be made if you planned to purchase a return journey using the off-peak trains.

As the trains leave every 15mins and barring any problems normally 6 carriages it's not the worst commuter service to travel on.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,490 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

Thanks for that both. Put my mind at rest.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,441 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

So if I read this correctly you are already in Edinburgh and then you want to carry on by train to Glasgow Queen Street, catch the airport bus?

Really you can actually catch the 1815 train to Queen street, walk out of the station, across to George Square catch the bus and be at the airport by 1940 by which time your friend will probably still be waiting for luggage or at least they will be trying to sort out the rental car (I presume). forme that would be perfect timing.

You can also catch the 900 bus and the 500 to the airport witha combi ticket for £12.50

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…fares.php

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,490 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

Thats a good idea Ronaldo. Yes I'm spending some time in Edinburgh solo.

She won't be collecting luggage and her own car is there. So 19.25 is close.

If I get that combi ticket just a little earlier that will give me an extra half day to enjoy Edinburgh. I'll look into that. Especially as my luggage will be in lockers at the bus station. Makes sense.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,796 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

There are good shops, and sights, in Glasgow, if you wanted to spend a couple of hours there. And you could no doubt store your luggage in one of the stations while exploring, and then heading to the airport.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
978 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

There are facilities for left luggage at Glasgow Queen Street station (next to George Square in the city centre). From there you can take a train to Edinburgh every 15 minutes (journey time 50 minutes). There is a frequent bus to/from Glasgow Airport from outside Glasgow Queen Street station. See www.scotrail.co.uk

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,490 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll make a note of each option and decide on the day depending on the weather.

It's great to have the info on both options to suit whatever turns up & will be useful for future trips too.

9. Re: Edinburgh to Glasgow peak travel times?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:21