We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub in Rose street area

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pub in Rose street area

This is a long shot i know but I was hoping someone might be able to help me remember the name of a pub I visited last year. I'm sure it was on Rose Street or very close if not. It was not a new or newly decorated pub. We sat in a bar area on the left as you went through the door (I believe there was a right). It was quite a dark pub with wooden rickety chairs and tables and candles shoved in bottles. We had the biggest jacket potatoes for only £3. It was obviously a lunch stop on a walking tour as it became besieged with people. Toilets were downstairs. I think the area behind the bar may have been plastered in beer mats and I'm sure it had an open fire.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub in Rose street area

Sorry I can't help - doesn't ring a bell - but there are quite a few old fashoned places on Rose Street. I presume you're visiting soon? You'll have good fun trying to find it!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,789 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub in Rose street area

You can virtually walk Rose street using google. Perhaps that would jog your memory http://goo.gl/maps/LSRCi

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub in Rose street area

Sounds to me that is could be the Abbotsford it's been there as long as I can remember.

www.theabbotsford.com

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub in Rose street area

Seems to me Google maps has mixed up the Abbotsford (quite near St Andrews Square end of Rose Street) and the Kenilworth (where the Abbotsford marker is). There are quite a few misplaced markers on Google and I'm surprised businesses don't ask for corrections. Or maybe they do, and nothing happens.

The Abbotsford's interior is pretty unmistakable - decor, and the island bar.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub in Rose street area

I wouldn't describe the Abbotsford as dark, and it certainly doesn't have candles shoved in bottles. I shall do some research.........

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub in Rose street area

Could be the 1780, they have candlelit tables, although I'm not sure if the toilets are downstairs, or maybe Dirty Dicks?

W K
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub in Rose street area

Sounds like Dirty Dicks to me...

8. Re: Pub in Rose street area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:17