We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Proposal

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Marriage Proposal

Hello,

Without disclosing too much information, as my girlfriend may lurk upon this, I need some help. We are here for one year while she attends uni and I would like to propose to her during this time. I have the date of November 16th in mind for the day I wish to ask her, and also the place I was thinking to ask would be the Royal Botanic Gardens. She would like a more close, intimate place rather than the middle of princes st, or high st and this place looks great without having to travel too far. My question is, with the wonderful Scotland weather in November, will the weather be bearable, or will it be better to pick an indoor proposal site such as a castle; based solely on weather. Also if weather is kind of a hit or miss, is the Botanic Garden pretty in November, being winter I would assume most of the flowers or colors would be dull and just green. I have yet to see the Botanic gardens so anything else you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

-John Doe

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage Proposal

The Botanic Gardens have glass houses. You have to pay an entrance fee, but problem solved methinks.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage Proposal

The Botanic Garden has two cafes and a restaurant; but it also has Inverleith House, which is an art gallery, and it has marvellous views from its upstairs windows over the gardens and the Edinburgh Skyline (and the Edinburgh skyline is *almost* unspoiled from this direction.)

RBGE will also offer to cater for your wedding if you ask them nicely :-)

There's always something happening at one of the Garden's centres - e.g. that weekend there's an exhibition called Sea Change; or another 'Life through a Lens', or you could perfect your pruning skills. And the shop will be packed with Christmassy things. SO it won't look too dreich.

Inverleith House itself will have an exhibition, details not yet announced: rbge.org.uk/the-gardens/…current-exhibitions

Dan Colen: The Illusion of Life

"Work by former bad boy of NYC neo-pop art, consisting of paintings made by smashing artificial flowers onto raw canvas." Not sure if that'll create the right atmosphere or not :-)

An alternative art-themed location:

Start at Dean Village, walk upstream to the small bridge [signposted to the Gallery ...], then up the hill to the Gallery of Modern Art. Nice indoors and outdoors exhibitions. You could practice some sleight of hand to 'find' an engagement ring in the middle of a Henry Moore piece. There's one in the woods to the side of the building.

Or (weather being favourable) you could just head to the top of Arthur's Seat. Remember it'll be dark between 4-5 but (ha ha you never know) you might get a nice sunset. On the way back, tea and cakes at Clarinda's on the Royal Mile.

Or head to other 'iconic' buildings like the Museum on Chambers Street, and head up through the new extension, going from ancient to modern history, with your ring, at the top, being the newest item of all [good restaurant to celebrate as well]

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage Proposal

I would go and take a look at the Gardens first and then decide, rather than speculate on what the weather might or might not be like on a particular day.

You might be over-planning this, and trying to find ways out of it.... :-)

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Proposal

The Chinese Garden within the RBG is a really nice spot and I have seen weddings taking place there.

On the same theme 'The Friendship Garden at Lauriston Castle is a lovely spot but both are partly down to weather and in mid November is in the hands of god.

Have you thought of The Royal Yacht Britannia? Pretend to take here shopping at Ocean Terminal and get her in a good mood then take her onto to Britannia and weather is not a problem as you are fully undercover.

5. Re: Marriage Proposal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:19