We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to get to airport

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midwest
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Time to get to airport

My DH and I plan to be in Edinburgh next spring. We will be staying in downtown Edinburgh. We have a 10:30 am Sunday morning flight home from the Glasgow airport. How much time would be need to allow to get to the airport, Trying to figure out if we should go to Glasgow on Sat. night or not.

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,530 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Time to get to airport

I'd not stay at the airport but in Glasgow on Saturday night. Glasgow is buzzing on Saturdays and its a very vibrant city. Very different feel to Edinburgh. No sense in staying out at the airport when you can get a cab in 20 minutes for £20 or so.

If you are flying transatlantic then I would get there 2 hours before, 90 minutes at the latest. It is a small airport and they have really improved security recently (and at Edinburgh too).

midwest
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Time to get to airport

We will be leaving Glasgow in early May so hopefully snow won't be a factor! ; ) Going home to US on US Air. 10:30 flight.

Spending Saturday night in Glasgow really does sound more appealing than staying in an airport hotel or getting up at the crack of dawn to get to the airport from Edinburgh. How is the Hilton in Downtown Glasgow?

Thanks everyone!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Time to get to airport

The city Hilton is in rather an awkward position,away from the city centre.

I wouldn't recommend it for your one night stay.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,881 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Time to get to airport

I took the Edinburgh - Glasgow bus last week and we were held up by traffic. Perhaps not likely on Sunday morning. Bear in mind too that the airport bus picks up at several stops on the way. A good service but I was late by missing the first connection.

Security was busy but is efficient so through at a good pace. I was told this is the norm.

For a translantic flight I would definitely stay in Glasgow. Perhaps pop over to leave enough time for a nice meal out.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 11:01
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,530 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Time to get to airport

The Glasgow airport bus costs £6 each one way (outrageous) so if there are two of you then a taxi won't be much more and will obviously take you door to door directly.

Scotland
Level Contributor
307 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Time to get to airport

Glasgow Airport handles about 9 million passengers a year (slightly less than Edinburgh) so whilst not tiny it is hardly Heathrow or JFK (and hurrah! for that). As stated , recent upgrades mean security area, which used to be quite cramped and rubbish, is much improved. The only times I found it extremely busy before were when a North American flight was leaving. And yes, stay in the city, not the airport.

17. Re: Time to get to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 05:19