We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hogmanay

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hogmanay

Due to me being very poorly (chemo) this year, hubby and I have been treated to a hotel for 4 days 29thDec-2nd Jan,

we would love to do the street party or The Keilidh, but not sure I,d be able to stand for the hours needed especially if its absolutely freezing,but obviously dont want to miss out on the atmosphere altogether, but concerned,if I feel ill and cant get out,

I noticed on the website all the events are standing and outdoors events,

So can any recommend somewhere close the the area,that we,d be able to maybe hear some of the music, and be able to see the fireworks,and be able to join in with auld lang syne,

Or is this asking the impossible, ?? Is there somewhere else nearby where there will be screens ie parks where you can just take rugs etc to sit on,that will have the atmosphere,but not quite as hectic,but still reasonably busy,

or would we just have to go just before 11pm, to join in the last hour or so, noticed no entry after 11pm,

Any advice greatly appreciated,

thanks x

Best Seller
Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands...
1,903 reviews
from US$63.50*
Likely To Sell Out
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
469 reviews
from US$322.90*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
88 reviews
from US$317.30*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
168 reviews
from US$576.70*
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hogmanay

It's probably getting a bit late, but there are places like the Royal Overseas Club and a number of hotels overlooking Princes Street and therefore you might get a view of the gardens, the fireworks, or some entertainments supplied in-house. Google for a map of Princes STreet and look for hotels. Those in the western half of Princes STreet will have better views of the gardens and castle. If staying very locally you have the opportunity to go out and join in, without being committed for the entire evening.

There are also indoor Ceilidhs organised in a number of places, not necessarily Princes Street.

That's for openers, not knowing your budget.

I have a close relative currently undergoing chemo so I know how intrusive it can sometimes be. You need that holiday, and being made a fuss of.

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hogmanay

Thank you, thats helpful, been trying to find events on-line, but everything diverts back to the street party :)

At the moment, it was like we were going to go for a meal, then pop out for the last hour or so to the street party ,then back to our hotel, which is on Royal Terrace, so hopefully not a long walk back,

I,ve googled Princes street, and have sent emails to various places,

I hope your relative manages okay,with their chemo, and that everything works out for them,

kind regards

Heather x

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hogmanay

Agree with Derek and I have been to The Royal Overseas League for Hogmanay a number of times and it gives you everything as you can look out of the window in the warmth and listen and watch the main stage in the gardens then go onto the roof terrace and get the best possible view of the fireworks, but this late in the year It will probably be fully booked. You could give them a call as they do get cancellations.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hogmanay

Try here- great location and newly re-opened restaurant and cocktail bar getting great reviews twentyprincesstreet.co.uk/e-hogmanay-gala-di…

5. Re: Hogmanay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:17