We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

What are my options? Should I buy ahead? I am open to all options. I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express Royal Mile and I need to catch a plane from Edinburgh to Dublin. I am arriving to Edinburgh by train.

I am almost done planning everything for my trip. I will be visiting Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Dublin. I am beyond excited. I am coming from the States.

Mentioned in this post
Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Royal Mile
Holiday Inn Express...
1,443 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Despite its name, your hotel is not actually on the Royal mile but on a street called the Cowgate. A walk of less than 10 minutes uphill via St Marys street and downhill by Jeffrey street will bring you to Waverley bridge (right outside the railway station) where you get the airport bus direct to the airport. The bus leaves about every 10 minutes and takes about 30-40 minutes depending on whether it is rush hour .

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,086 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Just to complete the picture:

The Airlink bus is probably the best compromise between time and cost, and is your best bet if your bags are easy to carry.

Alternatively, On the royal mile itself, you can get a 35 bus which also goes to the airport. Less trundle time for your baggage, cheaper, but takes a lot longer. [Bus stop outside the Radisson on the royal mile]

Or obviously there's a taxi, probably somewhere in the region of £20.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,021 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Derek, sorry to but in but any idea how long the number 35?

Noticed it at the airport and just looking to save a few quid as I could use a day ticket for the rest of the day.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Bus 35 takes about an hour from the Airport to the Royal Mile. Normal fares apply (i.e. £1.50 adult single or £3.50 day ticket); exact fare only and no change given. Some - but not all - buses on this route are ex-Airlink buses with good luggage accommodation.

Bus 100 (the Airlink bus) from the Airport to Waverley Bridge takes about 25-30 minutes but the fare is £3.50 single or £6.00 return. See: www.lothianbuses.com

From May 2014 the tram service is expected to start. The existing bus services to/from the Airport may well be altered.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,086 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,021 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Thank you Matthew. An hour is long but I'll check the route. If it is interesting it might be worth it. No probs with luggage.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

"if it is interesting" Like most buses it visits lots of housing areas and a few business parks and definitely doesn't go in a straight line. But it will save you an airlink fare. So you save £6 return and you add somewhat under half an hour each way.

But the time difference can be discounted if you happen to be staying at a hotel near the 35 route rather than near the airlink route

Route maps (they keep changing at Haymarket as the Tram works finish) and timetables

lothianbuses.com/timetables-tickets-maps

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,021 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

So not interesting then :-)

Ah well.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Not much use to the person making the enquiry, but I didn't realise for several years that my Lothian bus pass (weekly / monthly) allows me to use the Airlink service ... Duh!

Maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Thank you!!! How early should I arrive for my flight to Dublin on AerLingus?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh City to Edinburgh Airport. What are my options?

Most carriers want you at the gate 30 minutes before nominal take-off, so that they can begin boarding as soon as the incoming flight has emptied, but there is no great distance from security to the gates. For one-hop short flights, I try to arrive at the airport a little more than an hour before scheduled take-off. Security at EDI is now pretty good and doesn't often take more than 5-10 minutes, so I usually land up hanging around the gate for a few minutes. The exception tends to be mornings up to about 0830, especially Monday mornings, when I allow an extra half-hour. The Airbus from Waverley station usually takes less than the scheduled half-hour, but I tend to allow an additional 10-15 minutes in case something goes wrong on the route. So I try to be at Waverley two hours before take-off. I've not missed a flight yet.

Mentioned in this post
Turnhouse Airport
Turnhouse Airport
Edinburgh, UK