We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

My boyfriend and I are going to Edinburgh for a weekend later this month. We have visited the city twice before and really like it.

We mainly ate in Bella Italia and similar places on our last visits and while we like the food despite it being a chain, we would like to try other restaurants this time. I am a vegetarian (he's not!) and we really like Italian and Chinese food and general pub grub. I don't really know about traditional Scottish food, apart from haggis (stereotype I know!) and would certainly like to try some. I would be grateful if anyone could recommend some nice restaurants in the city centre that won't break the bank.

Also, we found one really good pub on our last visits. It was on one of the streets off Prince's Street, its in a basement and I think the word "rose" is in its name. However, apart from that we didn't really explore the nightlife as such. We are both in our mid-20s so wouldn't fancy somewhere with a really young crowd. Does anyone have any recommendations for pubs/clubs we might enjoy? I really like cocktails and stuff but my boyfriend doesn't like anywhere too "pretentious or full of posers", if you know what I mean! :-)

Thank you.

scotland
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

hi

this is one of my favourite restaurants

http://www.kweilin.co.uk/

its cantonese

if you like italian what about 'centotre' great italian run by the valvonna and crolla lot on george st

http://www.centotre.com/home.html

both of these you would definiteley need to book

also try picking up a copy of 'the list' in any decent newsagent which is pretty comprehensive on whats going on when, in and about town - they also have a 'list' eating and drinking guide available online, have fun

http://www.list.co.uk/restaurants/index.php

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

Did you know that Edinburgh is full of fantastic veggie or veggie friendly restaurants - have a look at davidbann.co.uk for some fine dining, though there are plenty of more budget conscious options.

Pancho Villas half way down royal mile on the right is a good place for meaty and veggie mexican food with a great lunchtime deal - 2 courses for around six and a bit pounds.

Also the Pizza Express also on royal mile is a particularly good one. There is a mexican restaurant on the walk up to the old town from the new town - can't remember the name, but its on a steep hill just below fleshmarket close - looked enticing!

Have fun

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

I'll vote for my favourite Chinese - the Wok & Wine on Frederick Street - we used to frequent the Kweilen but found the food at the Wok and Wine so fresh and delicious (coupled with great value if

you have the "bite" options), we don't go anywhere else now!

For reasonably priced Scottish food, try either Harvey Nichols brasserie - amazing views and off the top of my head, 2 courses from their set menu comes in at about £14 or there abouts? Also, Howies has lovely food at great prices: http://www.howies.uk.com

Definitely check out the List website for food reviews and restaurant listings :-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

According to the List, a good veggie choice would be David Bann's Vegetarian Restaurant in St Mary's Street - just off the Royal Mile from the Worlds End pub. Phone 44-131 556 5888.

Another is the Engine Shed Cafe at 19 St Leonards Street in the Southside. Tel 44-131 662 0040.

You can research Edinburgh restaurants at list.co.uk/restaurants/edinburgh/index.php

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

For non pretentious cocktails try Tonic on Castle street just of George street. The Candy Bar on George Street and round the corner from Tonic is also great for really good value food and cocktails. Definately a bar rather than a club - but it's probably spot on if you're in your mid twenties.

Est Est Est might also be worth a try.

Enjoy yourselves

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

Thank you all so much for your replies. Every single one of those places looks great, I think we might have to extend our trip to take them all in, I wish! :-)

I forgot to mention that we love Spanish food too and tapas type portions so Wok and Wine sounds great.

As for all the lovely cocktail menus...cheers! :-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

I would also second the vote for Tonic - one of my favourite bars! They also do lovely food for lunch in there too. The Candy Bar is also nice, however George Street is full of nice, classy bars if you like that sort of thing. Although expensive, pop into the bar Oloroso for drinks on the other side of Castle Street if you get the chance - the views are amazing over the city, and if it's sunny, try and get a seat on the roof terrace.

:-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
835 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

Sorry, forgot to give you further info on the Wok & Wine:

Wok & Wine

57a, Frederick St, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH2 1LH

Tel: 0131 225 2382

The owners, John & Stephanie, are lovely!

Hope you enjoy your trip! :-)

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

These suggestions are great. I have printed them out for us too, off on Sunday and I can't wait!

:o)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating and nightlife for couple in mid-20s

IGGS is great on Jeffrey Street for Spanish Tapas.

For scottish - try a Room in The Town or Room in the West End - really nice food and its BYOB - www.aroominthetown.co.uk I really reccomend it!

Also think you're talking about a pub on Rose Street - there's so many basement bars along there - perhaps it was the Rose Street Brewery?

A wee note - you ahev try veggie haggis if you're a veggie - McSweens is the best! I love veggie haggis and I'm not even a veggie!

Have a great time