We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free question

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
duty free question

This may seem a strange question but I thought id get my answer this way. My wife and I are flying up to Edinburgh on Thursday for 4 days and my wife is wanting to buy some duty free perfume as is I think a rule for her :-) . Problem/ question I have is if we buy it can we bring it back?? I have never taken an internal flight before in all my years travelling and I've traveled lots. My thinking is you can only take 25ml of liquid thru uk customs in hand luggage and hand luggage is all we are taking !! Don't want to spend a fortune on it ifwe ccan't bring it back thru due to the 25ml rule.

any ideas anybody

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free question

OK so you do passports, security [and that's where they check for liquids] and then you end up waiting - and all around are duty free shops. Methinks you're allowed to carry things you buy airside? Can't see how internal flights would differ from international ones in that respect?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free question

It's security, not customs, that check for liquids, etc (No customs on an internal flight anyway)

You won't be able to bring it back unless it's within the limits for hand baggage. Put it in a checked case and no problem

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free question

Are you wanting to buy duty free on an domestic flight? That's not allowed - unless the rules have changed massively since I was last on a flight.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free question

Are you wanting to buy duty free on an domestic flight? That's not allowed - unless the rules have changed massively since I was last on a flight.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free question

But if you're not leaving the EU you won't be allowed to buy any duty free! By the way, there will be no customs for an internal flight, the liquids rule is about security, it has nothing to do with customs.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free question

There's plenty of shopping - it might be called duty free but it isn't really - unless you are leaving the EU when some items have different prices which you get on production of your boarding card.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: duty free question

Since you can't buy duty free (without a boarding card showing that you are on an international flight) whatever you buy will be the same price (maybe more) as the average high street, so no point lumbering yourself with the extra items

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: duty free question

Ok didn't realise no duty free !! So my question now is I think answered and that is we can't take any more than 25ml of any liquid on the plane ??

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,229 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: duty free question

You can take 100ml. However, if you are in the U.K. you will buy perfume etc., much cheaper online. There are many sites that have great cut price perfume, you are not going to get it cheap at the Airport or in Edinburgh.

It's only on International Flights that go outside the U.K. that you can get Duty Free.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: duty free question

Hi

Fragrance and beauty products are available to anyone flying through Edinburgh Airport (its tax free not duty free as that only applies to alcohol and tobacco products) and you save approximately 20% off high street prices. Some deals might even better saving depending on offers etc but you will save at least 20% as they pay the tax for you. If your arrivals gate is upstairs and you pass the shop you can purchase fragrance when you land, but you can't buy alcohol until you are departing again as they don't have an arrivals license.

You are allowed to carry up to 10 bottles of 100ml liquids in your hand luggage but they have to fit into the plastic bag you get, as long as they fit there will be no problem. Most airports do a free shop and collect service where you purchase your items at your Departure airport then Collect it when you fly back home which comes in handy if you don't want to take it with you.

I used to work at Edinburgh airport so any other information you need jut ask :)