We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh after chrstmas

Cardiff, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Edinburgh after chrstmas

HI, i am potentially planning a trip to Edinburgh around the weekend 10th Jan for a birthday surprise, I would expect it to be pretty quiet tourism wise after the new year/christmas etc, just wondered iff most bars/restaurants would still be open? Also are there likely to be any Christmas markets still around?

Thanks

SANDEMANs NEW Europe
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Rabbie's
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited
Photography Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh after chrstmas

The markets run from 27th November to 5th January so you will miss them. Does Edinburgh ever get quiet I wonder? Everything will be open so go and enjoy yourself and even IF it is a bit quieter than normal (and that's a big IF!) it just means there will be fewer queues and easier to find somewhere to stay and less crowded places to eat. There will probably be loads of sales on at the shops so maybe its a good time to bag a bargain.

Don't miss the Museum of Scotland in Chamber Street expecially if its a wet miserable day - its certainly a day's worth of entertainment

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186525-…

If its good weather a bracing walk up Arthur's Seat is worth the effort.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186525-…

Woody x

Edited: 28 October 2013, 14:32
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh after chrstmas

Everything will be open at that date - apart from the Xmas markets which will be closed a few weeks before. Edinburgh is a tourist city so there will still be people around. Quite a few offices are open on 2nd January (including mine) so things will be pretty much back to normal and all Christmas decorations will be down by then.

3. Re: Edinburgh after chrstmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 04:19