We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hogmanay questions

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hogmanay questions

Hello,

Like so many others, we're going to attend Hogmanay 2013/2014. I read the posts here on TA en checked out the hogmanay website, but still have some questions left. Hope you guys can help me out.

1) I see that both the street party and concert in the gardens start at 9 pm, that's clear, but until what time do both parties go on? Will the concert at the gardens end a little after midnight and if so, where can we go next (since there is no entrance to the street party after 11 pm).

2) I read that at the street party there are stalls for drinks and food. Is it the same for the concert at the gardens? Can you buy a beer there, or do we need to bring our own?

3) what do you think is more "value for money": the street party or concert in the gardens? I'm not a big Pet Shop Boys fan but i am really looking forward to a fun and festive night. You think the street party will do, or is the concert in the gardens worth the extra money??

Thank for all the help!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hogmanay questions

Everything will stop at midnight and then the fireworks start and will go on for around 20-30 minutes everyone then tend to go home or on to private party's. There will be beer for sale at both events. Glass bottles will be confiscated as you enter both events. If you like the line up for the concert then go for it, but the street party is always a lot of fun. Bad behaviour is not tolerated or obvious drunkenness or substance abuse

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hogmanay questions

Bad behaviour does happen. I saw two guys last year dance naked in the street for about twenty minutes until the police decided to encourage them to get dressed.

This was at 10 in the evening. And it was cold!

Things did get out of hand later when the police had to drag out the fighting girls in their party.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hogmanay questions

Thank you so much for the help! Just one last question: is it possible to go to a pub after the fireworks (since most people apparently go home or to a private party)? Or are the pubs closed or do we need to buy tickets to get in (as we need to do in Holland)?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hogmanay questions

Pubs will still be open but I would imagine it being a nightmare to get in anywhere. Most people tend to encamp themselves early on as getting around is a hassle.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 16:10
edinburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hogmanay questions

most pubs will be open till 3am & night clubs will be 5am.

the grassmarket is the area I know best as I used to work in a pub down there & the pubs down there will be busy until about 23.15 at which point people start heading into the street for the bells @ midnight. most close their doors for maybe 30minutes around midnight. once they reopen they fill up very quickly & can expect them to be full by 1am & you will have to q to get in.

not sure about the pubs around the street party but would imagine they are the same.

unless a pub is putting on entertainment it is not allowed to charge an entry fee (nightclubs excluded) & entry is first come first served.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 22:42
6. Re: Hogmanay questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:19