We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
xiv
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

Me and my to teenage kids are going to Edinburgh for 5 days in two weeks from now on.

We are going to stay at a B&B called Davenport House in Great King Street. It looks just great at the websites, but I can't find any reviews, and perhaps that is a warning sign. Do any of you Edinburgh experts know the place, and know what it is like?

And what about the location? Is it possible to walk to the different places from that location, I am thinking about Edinburgh castle etc..?

We have read a lot about Edinburgh and are really looking forward to our stay. But is there anything my teenagers (and me, Mum) just "have to" do/see while we are visiting the city?

I have read a lot of topics in Tripadvisorforums, but I don't think I have "found the key" how to act in these forums, so perhaps you just find my questions annoying, and then I must just excuse, (but perhaps I could tell you something about Norway in return,if any of you are going there sometime ; ) .

Thanks!

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

As an Edinburgh lass I prefer the more sedate 'Athens of the North' than Auld Reekie....

Dynamic Earth I believe is another good thing to do with kids..

As to the Vikings... I think they left a lot more behind than just a few words...

If you go to the castle look out for the pet's cemetery beneath the castle walls and remember the one o'clock gun - it has frightened the wits out of many an unwary tourist!

xiv
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

Thanks for more answers!

I do find both the expressions Auld Reekie and Athens of the North, very interesting. I think they say a lot of Edinburgh's diversity and history. We are quite interested in history, so we really look forward to experience your town.

And we look forward to se the arcitecture, the old streets and the bulidings, and the fact that we are going to stay/sleep in a stonebuilding from the 18th century. In Norway most all old buildings (new ones as well) are wooden, so this will be very interesting indeed.

We are both proud and ashamed of the vikings, ......but we are all descendants either we are scandinavian og scottish, so we have to live with it....

see you!

xiv
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

Thanks for more answers!

I do find both the expressions Auld Reekie and Athens of the North, very interesting. I think they say a lot of Edinburgh's diversity and history. We are quite interested in history, so we really look forward to experience your town.

And we look forward to se the arcitecture, the old streets and the bulidings, and the fact that we are going to stay/sleep in a stonebuilding from the 18th century. In Norway most all old buildings (new ones as well) are wooden, so this will be very interesting indeed.

We are both proud and ashamed of the vikings, ......but we are all descendants either we are scandinavian og scottish, so we have to live with it....

see you!

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

Please don't be ashamed of the Vikings - they just did what they did. I should think that every nation in the world has some part of its history which it can be less than proud of.

In time I hope we can all learn to forgive and learn from the mistakes of the past, to live in peace and harmony in the future.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

My quote about Vikings was tongue in cheek! :-)

My ancestors came from Lewis so there will probably be a viking or two in my bloodline and a great saying in Scotland is that 'we are all Jock Tamsons Bairns' meaning that basically all humans are the same no matter where we originate...good thing to remember with all that goes on in the world.

If it's any consolation I am supposed to be descended from the Wolf of Badenoch and he wasn't someone you wanted to get on the wrong side of!

Enjoy your visit.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

Gardyloo comes from Gardez l'eau! only it probably wasn't l'eau they were chucking out of the windows.

Isn't Edinburgh also referred to as "all fur coat and nae knickers"?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

http://www.furcoatnaeknickers.com/home.htm

This may be of interest to Edinburgh visitors.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

Fur coat and nae knickers - yeah and the one about have you'll have had a cup of tea etc etc which my husband loves to quote!

Haworth, New Jersey
Level Contributor
169 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

The hop on, hop off tour bus is definitely the first thing to do. You can sit upstairs and check out the entire scene and then decide what you wish to return to. If you do Harvey Nichs (I'm not sure your teenage son will enjoy that so much), then walk around the corner to the National Portrait Museu. Also, if it's raining...go to the National portrait Museum. There is also a free bus that takes you from one museum to the other. I noticed the Edinburgh Castle had quite a teen scene going on. Otherwise just plan on some streetwalking because the streets will be buzzing withplenty of teens this time of year.

xiv
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Visiting Edinburgh for the first time in our life, soon!?!?

Thank you very much all of you for your nice and interesting answers!! Tomorrow we are leaving for Auld Reekie or is it rather Athens of the north, and we hardly can't wait.......

I have printed out this thread, and I think it will be informative reading when we arrive.

We are staying untill thursday morning so I hope we reach to se a lot and do a lot.

And we promise to be a lot kinder visitors than the vikings, but I have to admit, that specially my teenage son looks very much like one, now a days, with white eyebrows and red uncut hair surrounding a summer-red (or is it tanned?) face.

Now I have to pack my stuff and read my lessons about Greyfriars Bobby!!!