We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
165 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

As some of you may know, I'm taking my wife to Edinburgh from the 1st to the 5th of January. We are visiting family in Liverpool before and after so that is where we would be travelling from. I would just like to get some opinions on how I should get there?

Basically, I have the following options:

1. Drive there. I don't mind the 4 hour drive, but my concern is the condition of the roads at that time of year - especially in Edinburgh. I have no idea if the roads are treturous or not going into the city centre.

2. Take a train. The dilemma is the price and the number of stops. For about £56, I can get two standard returns which is great. But the problem is on the way there (Liverpool to Edinburgh) there is one stop, and on the way back there's 2 stops. And I don't know how good standard and first class is, and whether first class is worth it. Currently, the price I'm getting for first class is around £150 return.

3. Go by plane. Manchester to Edinburgh return is advertised as £84 each return, but when you add on hand luggage and pick your seats it comes to about £270 for the both of us. That is pretty expensive but the journey would only be about an hour.

Any opinions on the matter would be appreciated!

At the moment I'm siding on first class train travel, but I am still unsure about how good first class is and whether it's worth it.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

You could have driven and parked for free in Edinburgh on the street on public holidays - 1st and 2nd Jan in Scotland.

edinburgh.gov.uk/info/…4

If there is no public transport unless you want to walk a taxi is a good idea

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

Train is the best option that too of first class. You will enjoy for sure.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

"Train is the best option"

Train is an option. And the one that the OP has chosen.

Doesn't mean it is the best of course.

London
Level Contributor
165 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

My hotel is closer to Haymarket Station (about only half a mile away) but the train stops at Waverley. Can I just jump on another train to Haymarket?

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

Does the train not stop at Haymarket on the way past? If not then if then I think you will be out of luck as no Scotrail services are running

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

I think that trains coming from the south which terminate in Edinburgh stop at Waverley; it is only those travelling from London on to Aberdeen (for instance) or coming from Glasgow/the north which go through Haymarket.

So you are probably just as well catching a taxi from Waverley or walking along Princes Street to your hotel if cases not too big. It should still look quite festive :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

ist and 2nd January are public holidays in Scotland Roads will be quiet get to Edinburgh park up, then use public transport to get around

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

fundriver/Williamnt - I am under the impression that most if not all trains that travel up (down) the west coast line into (from) Edinburgh stop at Haymarket. That's certainly my recollection from my occasional use of the line. A few spot checks of the timetables seem to confirm that.

BUT! It looks like no trains at all are scheduled to stop there on 1st January. I guess the station is closed that day? I travel from Haymarket about once in every blue moon, so perhaps someone who uses the station routinely can chip in!

As to the train or drive argument, there are points to be made for and against both options. Taking his situation (family, first visit, midwinter, &c) into consideration, OP has taken the one that suits HIM. Let's just help him make that an easy journey!

Taxis should be readily available at Waverley, but buses will be scarce, so taxi to hotel is likely to be the best option there. It's probably worth noting that Edinburgh taxi fares are significantly higher over the Christmas and New Year period. Nevertheless, the cost will still be only a few pounds.

29. Re: Travelling to Edinburgh - Plane, Train or Automobile?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:17