We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on planning trip to Scotland

colleyville
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help on planning trip to Scotland

I will be arriving in Glasgow August 10-12

I will have a car when I leave Glasgow. I would like to see Stirling and St. Andrews. I will be in Edinburgh the 18-21. Would like to see some of the countryside. Am open to suggestions. Am not hikers.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

What sort of suggestions would you like? :-)

Are you saying you have 6 days between Glasgow and Edinburgh and want advice on where to go?

What are your interests? How much driving do you want to do? Have you done any research into places to visit in Scotland?

Why not look at a site like undiscoveredscotland and see if somewhere interests you? Or look at a map of Scotland and plan a route around the country?

colleyville
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

I was thinking of visiting Stirling on the 13th and St. Andrews on the 17th. Would the area around Inverness be a good base for 3 days or is the Isle of Skye a better choice. Am not opposed to driving, but do not want to change hotels every night.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,975 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

Average Driving times in Scotland off the main motorways between Edinburgh, Glasgow. Stirling & Perth averages out at about 40MPH. If you don't want to change hotels frequently you may wish to change how many places you want to visit, or you are going to do a lot of driving but not much else.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 01:11
colleyville
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

That is what I don't want to have happen. What would you suggest? When I read the travel books it just seems like they are on the road all day.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,251 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

Make sure you don't go to St.Andrews between 7th and 12th August as the Lammas Market is on and the town is taken over by noisy funfair rides which completely obliterate some of the beautiful buildings and architecture - but it looks like you are planning on other dates anyway!

I would suggest you would get more variety basing yourselves around Inverness rather than Skye. Skye is lovely - don't get me wrong - and its for all types, not just hikers - but there is more variety, coastal, rural and mountain scenery around the Inverness area. You can easily see West Coast scenery in a day's drive from Inverness then spend the other two days perhaps looking at the Moray Firth coastal villages east of Inverness and the 3rd day exploring a bit of the Cairngorms National Park giving yourselves less time on the road and more time enjoying the countryside

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

This may help!

Woody x

Edited: 10 November 2013, 15:24
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,251 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

You could also plan on driving down from Inverness to St.Andrews on the A9/A95/A939/A93/A923 via Grantown on Spey/Tomintoul/Braemar/Blairgowrie/Dundee then on to St.Andrews. this is a very scenic route and although it could take you all day you could also do it in about 4.5 - 5 hours.

Just a suggestion

W x

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
17,155 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

Agree about Skye would not stay there unless you like to walk, hike, climb, fish etc., There would be little else to do. I must be only person on these Forums that does not and has never liked Skye. However, I love Edinburgh and would alway opt for a long stay there.

colleyville
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

Thank you for your suggestions. Would it work to go to Stirling then to Inverness? Where would you suggest spending the night between Stirling and Inverness. Would Grantown on Spey be a good stop on the way to St. Andrews? The trip would look like this

Glasgow Aug.10-11

Stirling Aug 12

Aug13?

Inverness Aug 14-15

Grantown on Spey Aug16

St Andrews Aug 17

Edinburgh Aug 18,19,20,21 leave

Will this give me time to see some of the castles and other sights? Am I trying to do to much?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
17,155 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

Just drive to Inverness from Stirling, it's about a 2-3 hours drive, so easily doable. If you wanted to stay over somewhere I would suggest Aviemore a bit more lively that Granton and more to see and do.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,251 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help on planning trip to Scotland

You may want to plan a Highland Games into your scehdule if it fits?

http://www.shga.co.uk/events.php

Grantown has a lot more history than Aviemore but Aviemore has more places to eat/pubs etc. and certainly seems to be a tourist hot spot. They are 14 miles apart.

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/areaspey/

Woody x